What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nasc website

• Thread starter PlantAKiss
  • Start date

PlantAKiss

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, Engl
Hi all

I contacted Carl Mazur for information regarding our website and here is his reply (slightly edited for the pertinent content):

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]With regards to the website, I'm willing to put together what I can.  I have nowhere to host it, that would be up NASC to find a server to host it.  Once there is a place to put it, I'll gladly create the site and maintain it.  If someone will provide me with the content, I'll make it pretty and organize the site.  AT this point I've created templates for the pages and they are waiting for info.  As far as my link into this, I just need to have the info emailed to me, and a place to put the site.  

As far as communication goes, I think the best thing is to set up an email group of concerned people and communicate via email. The ICPS has a couple of email groups. For instance, our ICPS board has a board email alias so that any email sent to it is broadcast to all the board members.  Once a provider is setup to host the site, a similar system can be setup.  But
again, a board of directors or a collection of "employees" or something of like would have to be setup for the NASC.  

I could contact the person who takes care of this for the ICPS and see if I can get some prices for the web hosting we use.  You guys will have to determine who is going to cover that cost.

So there is the scoop.  We need a server and then we can get rolling.  I know we've had some offers from people to be the web master if we don't want to burden Carl too much.

PLantakiss, I think I can get a free one.  I will check on it immediately. It will be no ads.

I am just waiting for a response. I will let you all know when I get one.

Thanks Rose.
smile.gif

Hi Rose, I have a friend who owns the electronic toolbox. If you would like, I will put you in contact with him as you would be in a better position to discuss the needs of the NASC.  He owns the server and has provided free services which include 100MB mailboxes for all members.  He mostly provides this service to Churches and Scouting Groups, however, I am told he provides the service to any not for profit.  His name is David.  Let me know.

Laura, could you try him. I am still not able to get in touch with spacer. I have given some room, but I am not sure that it will be enough.

So sorry Rose, I am just seeing you posted here now.  I will call David this weekend.

The company who I get my webspace from offers 3 domain names for only 10 dollars a year!  Here is their offer site:

http://intelnetics.com/ebay.htm

The offer I am talking about is the first one.  

ALSO if you don't want to pay the ten dollars each year for the SERVER and would rather have it free.  I am willing to offer you one of my 3 domains server spaces. I own utahcpsociety.com and that is it. I am allowed two more dot.coms and one can be used for an NASC website for free!  You would only have to pay the 7 dollars to pay for the domain name from Hostway.com, and I would host the page on my space. If you were short the seven dollars I'd even be willing to pay the seven bucks for the website domain name. But, you may have already purchased it since I see that www.NASC.com is not available.  

FEATURES:
You would get 5GB of bandwidth traffic each month. Unlimited SERVER space. Unlimited email accounts, unlimited Email sizes and unlimited subdomains possibililties. i.e. home.nasc.com or store.nasc.com and etc.  

The offer is here if you want it, it's a way I can help if you still need it.  Time has passed since this topic began, so if this offer is too late no worries.  
biggrin.gif

Hello Odysseus, what an extremely generous offer. That was so very kind of you. What a sweetheart you must be.   

Good news is that in addition to the information you provided above, Copper now has the contact information to an individual who owns servers. He has one server set aside exclusively for not for profits.  I believe there are no bandwidth restrictions, 100 gb e-mail accounts, and a host of other perks that I don't fully understand but the greatest advantage would be no pop up ads, no pop under ads, no banners, no spyware, no malware, and no monthly fees. The costs of getting servers to host a group that aren't ad supported are rather high these days let alone one that is supported by a live human being. Additionally, he has state of the art security which is an added bonus. Copper volunteered to pursue this offer last night and I am sure she will pursue your offer too as it looks equally as attractive.

Yes, www.NASC.org was taken by the National Association of Student Councils and www.NASC.com was taken by some soccer camp organization. Other domain possibilities were discussed last night and I believe a domain was chosen that best meets the needs of the Conservancy. What a bummer to find that a student council group had that .org domain.

Someone volunteered to pay for a 3-year domain registration as well as a few other miscellaneous fees so the conservancy is ok there.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LauraZ5 @ Jan. 15 2005,4:23)]Yes, www.NASC.org was taken by the National Association of Student Councils and www.NASC.com was taken by some soccer camp organization. Other domain possibilities were discussed last night and I believe a domain was chosen that best meets the needs of the Conservancy. What a bummer to find that a student council group had that .org domain.
Your'e very welcome for the offer.  I think it is too bad that NASC.com is simply being used to direct people to two seperate links.  What a waste!  I was trying to get in contact with their webmaster...but there wasn't a link.  

Well, if you guys need my space let me know.  I plan on renewing my server subscription every year so you would have somewhere guaranteed with NO ADS or anything as well.  

Keep me posted...

Is there anyway someone in charge of organizing the website could contact me ASAP and let me know if my help is needed? When at first I felt useful and probably an asset to this conservation group, I am beginning to feel that any offer of mine is expendable.

If there really is nothing I can do to help, let me know.
biggrin.gif
So, I can stop checking in on a message I am not receiving. Thanks.

Hang in there Odysseus.
smile.gif
These things happen slowly as sometimes its hard getting in contact with certain people. I'm sure once we determine where the server is going to be, then we can get more specific direction and take up some offers on help with website. At that point, you might contact Carl to see if he wants to handle it or if he'd like being relieved of the responsibility.

And I'm sorry for my lack of presence here but I have a few things to deal with that are taking my time.

Whatever server is decided upon (I don't think it matters too much...we just need a space), then Carl needs to be contacted to find out how we get his sample set up uploaded to the space. Then I guess we just need to decide who will manage it, what needs to go on it and gather that material for the webmaster.

Odysseus I will be in contact with you soon. I am waiting on a response from a friend of Laura's. I will be taking up that $10 offer for at least myself. It is a very good offer. I do a lot of voluntary help to the communities in the area. The sites will make it possible to reach a much larger group. Your assistance is much appreciated.

Once we have a server confirmed for us to use, just email me and I will contact Carl about it. He has offered to work the site unless we would prefer one of our volunteers to do it. Or both perhaps unless that would be confusing. As per our last communication, I believe he is just waiting to hear that we have a place to store our website. I'd like to get an address as soon as possible so I can put it on the brochure I have made up.

Laura...a rough of a brochure is posted in here somewhere.  Its not 100% complete yet as I'm waiting to be able to add contact name and web address.  It wouldn't look too good to send that out and not have an official website...although I guess a generic one would do in a pinch.  I need to get these done as Schloaty wants some.

OK...I found it. The rough is posted at the bottom of this thread.

http://www.petflytrap.com/cgi-bin....t=13594

biggrin.gif
 You bet, Copper and PAK.  I received an email from Laura explaining the hectic schedule of everyone involved on the decision process, so I am good for the wait.  
biggrin.gif
 Just let me know as soon as you guys know.

PAK: Glad we went with your LOGO design. It is perfect! Plus, I loved your brochure! You will have to keep up informed when you produce some .pdf versions of it so we can print them off from our differing locations.
biggrin.gif

Er uhhh... that's a "rough of a brochure"??????

I have never seen anything so beautiful and the use of Brooks' Sarrs was absolutely perfect. And yes... I recognized those immediately as that's my desk top wall paper on my computer at the office. PAK- VERY GOOD WORK!  Extremely impressive. You are gifted little lady!

If you do end up wanting a volunteer, I can do the Web master work (if given the space). If Carl does not want to do it/hasn't the time, I would be more than happy.

My Webpage This has some screenshot examples of work I've done.

Patrick.

Thanks Laura.  
smile.gif
 That's what I do for a living.  
biggrin.gif

I am going to try to post the "almost final" version of the brochure.  It looks a little different as I received some nice photos from Brooks to use showing them in the wild so there are new pics in it.  I'll make a new post so nobody has to wade through the old one to find it.

I just sent some out to Schloaty for an event he's going to.  While I can't print thousands of these things, I can provide some to folks who have a legitimate use for them.  And no, at this time, I can't send the file unless someone has PC (UGH!) Quark on their computer.  I can burn a disk if someone wishes to take it to a service bureau for output but its color and that means $$$.

Aaaaaanyway...if someone can let me know when a server has been settled on, I'd appreciate it.  Then I'll try to get things rolling on the website.  Patrick...Carl is so busy I'm sure he'd appreciate the help or if you'd run it.  Its great to know we kinda have that taken care of...kinda sorta.  
smile.gif

OOOHHH...and BTW...we haven't decided on my logo. I'm just using it because its all I have right now. Once a logo has been determined for sure, I can replace it on any graphics stuff that I've done. I'm just having to go with what I got for right now since Schloaty needed brochures.
smile.gif

Back