Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Field collection and conservation

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forgive me if this has been discussed before, and kindly post a link to the relevant thread...

How does one go about field collecting for the purposes of conservation, and what is generally done to impact as little as possible the plants being collected, or their environment?

I imagine a big part of it is an awareness of what already is known to exist in cultivation, and cataloging what plants and variations exist in a wild population, so you only select for collection those genetic variations that are not yet in cultivation.

But beyond avoiding unnecessary removal of plants from the wild, what else? Would an entire plant be removed, or just seeds, or a portion of the rhizome?

(I'm not planning on rushing out to the nearest bog; I'm just curious)
    My Grow List

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." -- Stephen Hawking

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will just address the taking of the plant I will leave ethics and what ever to everyone else: Try to take leaf cuttings when ever possible. If not a couple seeds is okay. (Note- a couple not a whole capsule, only 4 Sarr seeds are needed, Take one from each of four different plants). When an exact copy of a Sarr is wanted you can split the rhizome in half (down the middle even if it only has one growth point). I recommend a dividing knife for this. Both halfs of the plant should recover. Only do this to plants with large rhizomes. Of for branching plants like flava and minor a small offshoot could be taken. For conservation purposes ask bugweed or Barry Rice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The most important thing you need is permission to collect. If the plant is on private land written permission from the ownre of the land is okay. If it is on federal or state land you need to talk to the entity that controls the land (BLM, F&W, DNR, Parks, etc.) You will likely need a permit and have to sign some legal documents for these guys.
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--
    actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pyro is on! 100%. Always above board. Saves on a lot of trouble.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Basically, there is really no reason to collect CP from the wild anymore.

Barry Rice, who is an editor for the ICPS Carnivorous Plant Newsletter and a leader in the PFT forums Conservation Station has writen some great FAQ's about this very subject. Check it out:

May I collect carnivorous plants from the wild?

Why can't I collect plants if the land they live on is being destroyed anyway?

What about field collecting endangered pitcher plants?

Steve
    Steve L
    "I'm Lucky enough to get paid to do this!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you should think for yourself where that is concerned. And any plant in front of a bulldozer, is leaving the area with me. Period!
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Steve L @ Feb. 08 2005,10:06)]Basically, there is really no reason to collect CP from the wild anymore.

Barry Rice, who is an editor for the ICPS Carnivorous Plant Newsletter and a leader in the PFT forums Conservation Station has writen some great FAQ's about this very subject. Check it out:

May I collect carnivorous plants from the wild?

Why can't I collect plants if the land they live on is being destroyed anyway?

What about field collecting endangered pitcher plants?

Steve
    Those Barry Rice articles are excellent, but aimed primarily at an individual collector acting independently, not at a serious amateur conservationist interested in working with the ICPS, NASC, and other conservation groups in legitimate projects.
    My Grow List

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." -- Stephen Hawking

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I second that!!!!! Good point SarraceniaScott!
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast