Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Any construction sites

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Education is important in properly stewarding the land with the owners... many people will not do periodic controlled burns, but this is what is required to preserve the site.

Even the Nature Conservancy and many state/federal parks will not do it.
    My Grow List

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." -- Stephen Hawking

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many areas that I have found plants cannot do controlled burns. You need a cartain distance for residences and other buildings as well as making sure it will not cloud the road. + if there is a drought. So in fact many places probibly are not allowed to do it.

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I really should put this in the NASC forum but I have been busy moving, and I had planned to get settled in before I get anything officially wrote up. I just typed that out without any thought at all. Maybe I'll paste it there if I get time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Tre, I am only an underling with the NASC. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me but I am not in a position to make any decisions regarding the direction of this organization. I do whole heartedly support those is positions of authority to the best of my ability and I would suggest that we all follow suit. You suggested the following, “Ozzy shouldn't you have posted that in the NASC forum thingy for consideration by everyone”. It’s great for the Committee Chairs to be able to get input from others so perhaps this thread might get more “reads” if it is moved, however, decisions will need to be made by Board members such as Rose, 0zzy, PAK, and Bugweed. That’s just sort of the way Boards function best.

Hi SarraceniaScott, I am by no means an expert on controlled burns however I have participated in them before under the guidance of those considerably more experienced than I. There do exist many situations in which a controlled burn is not in the best interests of the plants one might be trying to preserve. There are many factors that determine this. We can't paint with such a broad stroke as to state emphatically that "many people will not do periodic controlled burns, but this is what is required to preserve the site". Other species of plants may be present and established at a site that may prohibit a controlled burn, narrow leaf cattails as well as phragmites come to mind. Existing biomass can become a major concern. We have several sites in my area that have been burning for over a year. The fires can't be put out. What began as a controlled burn ignited by some well intentioned individual has ended up a smoldering nightmare that could conceivably burn for many years to come all because someone took a cavalier approach to site management. Additionally, in some counties controlled burns are prohibited. Does the NASC necessarily want people out there managing sites by "routinely" conducting controlled burns regardless of the hydrology or lack there of or regardless of the type of biomass present but not taken into consideration? There are many more variables in need of being factored in to determine whether a controlled burn is feasible or not. I certainly am not qualified to make that determination. Few are. There are other activities in which one can participate at a site to insure perpetuation of a species. It doesn’t always have to be a controlled burn and could simply be the mechanical removal of introduced species encroaching and degrading Sarracenis habitat. Exotic species can and often do outcompete native species and do need to be controlled, managed, and eradicated. Controlled burns are just one of many ways to control invasive species that threaten native plants.

Speaking of fires... right now as I type, 500 acres of the Illinois State Beach Park are consumed in flames thanks to some moron. I volunteer at this park and I am listening to it on the radio. They have detained the man who was allegedly caught starting the fires. Our park was home to countless species of threatened and endangered species. I am a monitor for an endangered orchid over there. Our park was only 700 acres. I am aghast. There are 18 fire departments allegedly on site trying to put it out before it consumes even more land. Ash is falling from the sky as if there is a volcanic eruption of some sort. How incredibly depressing.

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Treaqum, I read your post on the last page and then made the post above without reading all the posts on this page.
    I agree with most of what you said. We can't let the NASC become a poaching organization, and we can't let ourselves get a poaching reputation. Many of your thoughts have already been considered by board members but maybe they haven't been addresses publicly. Everything that I posted was just me running my mouth without much thought at all. I need to put a lot of thought into my ideas before they are made policy. What I said was mostly just ideas that I have. Other things are things that me and Rose have discussed. We need to have a lawyer look at the forms that we draw up before they are approved by the board. We are just getting on our feet and we need to learn to walk before we start running. Any plant that is collected in the name of the NASC, will have to be done 100% legally, and EVERY procedure we set into place be followed. Some of the things I want to made into procedure is:
    1. All plant material collected goes to the NASC.
    2. At least two board member review and agree that the plants should be collected. If we have enough time I would recommend that all collections be put before the board for vote before any collection is made. In some emergency situation that may not be possible. But before any plant is collected at least one board member must agree, then the decision will be reviewed by the board to make sure that the right decision was made. The board member that approved the collection will be responsible to the board for the decision.

Remember these are just my, not so thought out, opinions. None of what I have said has been reviewed by the board.
    I can assure you that we have sound board members, and none of our board members are in this for personal gain. Please PM me or post any concerns that you have here so that we can get it all out in the open, and address them. That will make the NASC a more sound organization in the end.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will do. I jsut wanted my thoughts to be known. I knew Bugweed and Copper were involved but I did not know how big (or rather small) the board was. I am glad the board is not a seperate entity but actually the officers and is small and filled with dedicated people who will do anything to get this thing off the ground. And again I am here to do as you ask of me probibly not for 6 years unforntalyy as Rose and Bugweed know.

Oh and SS controlled burns also cannot be done on area that have not been burned to recently. I know that if some idiot threw a cigarette into the woods near my house and they got lit on fire it would not be controlled. Controlled means the amount of tinder will let a quike burn go through that will not kill everything. It will allow the hardy-er stuff to survive like our hungary friends. Too much tinder is in that forest. Everything would be burned in such a hot fire I bet only one or two at most trees would survive. Not to mention the houses going up in flames.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    is it practical to burn the plants in culture?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The burnings are primarily to knock down invasive species that grow much quicker, and can over grow their cp counterparts. Byblis to my knowledge would be the only plant requiring fire.
    I always suspect everything could be a trap... thats why I'm still alive
    N.A.S.C. Region 9 Head Grower

http://www.cpforums.org/gallery/ZAK

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast