User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
Results 49 to 56 of 62

Thread: Any construction sites

  1. #49

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Evanston, IL
    Posts
    836
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Terminally ill people can be thieving jerks, too. Having a terminal illness does not automatically confer sainthood on the person bearing the illness, or excuse the sufferor from doing what is right.

    If the person in question had no need to steal money..then why did it disappear? Where is it? What action was taken against this person or their estate? If none, why not? Mail fraud is mail fraud is mail fraud.....and the PO doesn't like it much. They'd prosecute it for free.

    Last I heard, Casper had some issues with hurricanes in FL. Nothing about a terminal illness.

    Did this person actually pass away? Is there a death certificate? You must understand, that if you're going to start an organisation, every single thing you do and say, and every action you take or lack thereof must be completely verifiable and transparent. Not only for future memberships and reputation's sake, but for auditing purposes. The IRS is a much bigger nasty term for a lady than I am.

    And I'll repeat...I volunteered to do grunt work for the NASC, whatever asked...but no one could be bothered to get back to me, or quite a few of the other people who volunteered, also.

    I don't have a clue as to what's going on behind the scenes because the powers-that-think-they-are keep what's going on behind the scenes pretty close to their chests. And they're not very forth-coming, are they? Aprilh
    \"People place their hand on the Bible and swear to uphold the Constitution; they don't put their hand on the Constitution and swear to uphold the Bible,\" Jamie Raskin, to Senator Nancy Jacobs.

  2. #50
    Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia/Zone 7
    Posts
    10,335
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, let's see...the organization The Wild Ones has been in existence since 1979. That's what...25 years? So I'd say a comparison between NASC, who is in the very early stages of forming, and an organization that's had 25 years to get its act together is just a TAD unfair. Wouldn't you agree?

    And as far as who is on the board and who is "running" NASC...we had an **open call for nominations for positions** and pretty much got ZIPPO. NADA. NE RIEN. A few people got nominated and most declined. No one wanted the responsibility. Everyone wants to grow the plants because that's fun!...nobody wanted to be in a position of responsibility because that is WORK. We've been through two pro-tem Presidents. So the folks that you see on the board are the FEW...the VERY few...who were willing to at least TRY and stick with it while dealing with jobs, kids, family issues, illnesses and tragedies.

    I'd say TRYING is better than doing nothing at all. Anyone who did not step up to the plate and offer to take a leadership position has no right to criticize those who did. Maybe there ARE people "out there" who could do it better...but where were they? Where ARE they?? This little rag-tag group is HERE and working under difficult circumstances (scattered across the country and having to deal with our "real lives").

    Are we disorganized? Yes. Have there been mistakes made? Yes. Will there be more? Absolutely YES!

    Not one of us who is on the board has any experience creating, organizing and running a not-for-profit organization. So what do you expect? No one is a business expert. No one is a legal expert. No one is a conservation expert. If any of you out there ARE experts in these areas...we could sure use your help! But no, we're just a handful of people...a cop, a graphic artist, a phone man, an electrician and a (Schloaty...I don't know what you are! lol), who think this is a worthy cause and want to do something to achieve it even if it takes 25 years. Do you expect everything to be up and running efficiently like The Wild Ones in a year? Two? Ask Barry Rice how long it took the ICPS to get formed and running smoothly.

    I couldn't BEGIN to throw stones at a group of people who have sunk their hearts and a lot of work into this project however slow and disorganized it may appear. Anyone who thinks they can do better....DO IT!! Who cares who does it as long as it gets done!

    This is not about "who" or "how" or "how long"...its about STARTING something...an idea...a movement...towards a worthwhile goal. Something needs to START and we are trying to do that.

    No one is required to be involved. If you don't like it, don't agree with it, think it could be done better...then be about it! Go do it! Until then...negative comments achieve nothing.

    Its possible this organization will fail. But if it does, at least *I* can say I tried!

    Starting an organization like this is difficult...its slow. We must take the baby steps before we can walk and running is a long ways off. And I can't believe anyone could dare to compare NASC to other long-established organizations. Why don't you write to some of them and ask how long it took before they had EVERYTHING in place and were running smoothly?

    There are a LOT of people waiting PATIENTLY for an assignment. We have lots of heart and willing folks "out there" just waiting for the word. And when NASC gets to the point where we can start making assignments for our willing workers, then we will. Until then...people must wait and I'm sorry if our slow pace doesn't fit someone else's schedule or expectations. This isn't "Instant Organization"...add a cup of milk, heat in microwave and...TA DA...you have a well-oiled machine of an organization. That's a fairy tale.

    And by the way...I find it appalling to see all the judgements flying about regarding a man that most of you "accusers" didn't know from Adam. How can you judge a person you had NO interaction with whatsoever? To many of you, the name "Casper" is nothing but that...a name. To me, he was a friend whom I talked to on the phone, online, via PM and email. Who the H are you to judge a total stranger?? None of us know what happened to Casper and the money although we've tried to find out....but between the two...I have more concern for Casper than the money. Money is replaceable...human beings are not.



    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

  3. #51

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,379
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is painting with a very broad brush stroke however tension appears to be high as are frustrations and disappointments-
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Everyone wants to grow the plants because that's fun!...

  4. #52
    Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia/Zone 7
    Posts
    10,335
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK...pardon the literary generalization. Not EVERYONE wanted to grow plants, but we sure had a heck of lot more volunteers to grow plants than to take on the Presidency and other Board/Committee positions. In fact, NO ONE wanted the Presidency.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

  5. #53

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    2,503
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (aprilh @ June 20 2005,3:24)]I donít appreciate having my motives, or anyone elseís, impugned.
    Thats how I felt when the first thing people did was accuse me of trying to poach.

    And also, I posted in the volunteer thread and said that I would be happy to do any after school work and no one pm'ed me either. Now, I will give you the benifit of the doubt here and understand that you guys have very busy schedules and not enough time to pm every single person who posted there but my problem is this:
    The first thing people posted after I made that post was what I thought an attempt to tell me I couldn't do it because I was too young. I happen to be good friends with this person so I dont think it is personal, but I feel like you have alot of young members here and most of us are not as busy as you, unlike you we dont have a busy schedule and kids to deal with, so alot of us I am sure would be ready and willing to help. but we can't because the rules might classify us as too young. We are all capable of helping alot with this, why dont you at least let us try?
    Join the CCPS, you wont regret it: http://s4.invisionfree.com/CCPS

  6. #54
    Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia/Zone 7
    Posts
    10,335
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a place for the younger members for sure but we need to get more organized and flesh out what we want to accomplish and how that will be done before we start giving anyone "official" assignments. We have had people working on various things in the past but that is kind of on hold for now.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

  7. #55

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Evanston, IL
    Posts
    836
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]To me, he was a friend whom I talked to on the phone, online, via PM and email.
    Some friend. Heard from him lately?

    Let me get this straight....you're angry because I
    called into question the character of someone who disappeared with funds from the organisation that you claim to care so deeply about? And that nothing had been done about it? Please.

    Mea Culpa, Mea Culpa, Mea Culpa. Shoot me for pointing out the obvious. Give me a minute, I'll go get the hair shirt out of storage.

    I wasn't comparing the NASC to anything, actually. I was more reacting to Ozzy's "we have a board and we will decide who's trustworthy and we will decide who gets plants" thing. Whatever. That's fine...y'all can do what you want. Nothing against Ozzy. You apparently have the policy already set in stone.

    I was also aggravated that Kirk's integrity was called into question immediately. Who's to say who's going to poach? Or not?

    I felt compelled to comment that choosing someone who's trustworthy is apparently a lot harder than some of you thought. I also felt compelled to comment that the NASC as it sits right now, is disorganised, and doesn't really exist. It's a new organisation, and some disorganisation is to be expected in any new organisation. That's all. I wasn't comparing it to any other organisation.

    I won't mention names, but I have been in similar organisations that were just as disorganised, and have been around a lot longer. They are that way because of the crony-ism, politic-playing, corruption and greed of some of the officers. Hope it doesn't happen to the NASC. That would indeed be a shame.

    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]There are a LOT of people waiting PATIENTLY for an assignment. We have lots of heart and willing folks "out there" just waiting for the word. And when NASC gets to the point where we can start making assignments for our willing workers, then we will.
    This is funny. You don't "assign" volunteers....you take the time to find out their interests, then put them to work where their strengths and interests lay. You know, actually pretend you care about them. Otherwise, you lose volunteers fast.

    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ] A few people got nominated and most declined. No one wanted the responsibility.
    Maybe the nominees just weren't interested? Maybe they knew they didn't have the skills required to do the job? I'm sure some of them didn't want any extra responsibility, too.

    Why would someone who's strengths are in the administrative realm volunteer for a board position?

    Good luck with the NASC.
    \"People place their hand on the Bible and swear to uphold the Constitution; they don't put their hand on the Constitution and swear to uphold the Bible,\" Jamie Raskin, to Senator Nancy Jacobs.

  8. #56
    Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia/Zone 7
    Posts
    10,335
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Let me get this straight....you're angry because I
    called into question the character of someone who disappeared with funds from the organisation that you claim to care so deeply about? And that nothing had been done about it? Please.
    I'm not happy about the situation but I still care more about Casper's well-being than the money. It's not like a million dollars disappeared. Yes, it was a nice chunk of change and no, no one is very thrilled about its status in limbo, but I don't see it as an issue to get bogged down over. It happened. No one planned it or wanted it to happen. Can't turn back the hands of time and I'm not gonna sit around and cry for a year over it. Get over it and move forward. We have a lot more to worry about than one member and some money who are out contact.

    I will consider Casper a friend until facts prove otherwise. I'm sorry...that's just how I am. Right now, no one knows what happened and who am I to sit in judgement of the situation without all the facts. I'm not a judgemental person and I don't "call into question the character" of someone until I know all the facts regarding a particular situation. And how do you know "nothing has been done about it"??

    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]This is funny. You don't "assign" volunteers....you take the time to find out their interests, then put them to work where their strengths and interests lay. You know, actually pretend you care about them. Otherwise, you lose volunteers fast.
    Maybe you missed the pinned topic at the top of the forum where we ask the members to post their interests and strengths so we have it to refer to when we get to the point of needing help on various assignments. That topic has been there since the creation of this forum. People do post to it from time to time and I think it will be a great reference tool when we are ready for it. And when we have a project that needs workers, we will refer to that topic, contact the members who posted their interests to see if they are willing to take on an assignment.

    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Maybe they knew they didn't have the skills required to do the job?
    NONE of us have the skills required for the job. Did you miss that part of my post where I said we are all average Joes and Josephines trying to take on a monumental task? That's why its taking so long for us to figure it out and get our feet under us. The point is, we are TRYING because we think its a good idea and would like to see it happen. I would LOVE it if we had someone who had experience in setting up and running a non profit...but we didn't and don't. At least not that I know of. We haven't gotten any emails or PMs from anyone informing us that they have these skills and want to take over a leadership position like the Presidency.

    So...we will continue to do our best. I still believe that doing SOMETHING is better than sitting around saying "Tsk tsk...so sad that the plants are being torn out of their habitat." And I'm sorry if our best isn't good enough for some people. No one HAS to be involved in this long-term project. I'm sure some people would be better suited to working with other, well-established organizations that don't have the start-up issues we do. Like I said...go for it! If anyone can do better, I invite and encourage you to go do it! Doesn't matter who accomplishes it as long as it gets done.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •