Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nasc and botanique

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Folks,

Some of you may have seen Rob Sacilotto's recent announcement that Botanique is closing its doors this year as a for-profit, and may be reopening as a nonprofit.

I was thinking that perhaps, with its extensive collection of Sarracenia, the "New" Botanique may be well down the path that the NASC wishes to travel. Rob tells me that others estimate that his collection is perhaps one of the largest in the world.

I have never been to Botanique, so I cannot verify this, but as I said, the NASC might do well to consider joining forces or cooperate in one way or another with Rob.

$.02

Barry
    Carnivorous Plant Newsletter
    Co-editor

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sounds like a really good idea to me, maybe this should be brought up before the board if there is a meeting tonight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have contacted Rob, and hope to hear from him soon. His collection is quite massive, containing thousands of plants.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where is Botanique?

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aren't they in VA?

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I visited him last year when I visited my sister in Charlottesville.
    I hope to visit him again this year.

I posted this on the SEPACPS last year after my visit.

At least once a year I go to my sisters in Charlottesville Virginia to visit and go hiking on trails at Skyline Drive. I decided to do a Google search to see if there was any nurseries in the area that sell carnivorous plants. What I found was Botanique, which is located NW of Charlottesville. Checking over the site I see it's not open to the public. I decide it would not hurt to email and see if I could visit......
    On Sunday afternoon (9/5/04) I met with Robert Sacilotto of Botanique http://www.pitcherplant.com/ . Robs nursery is located in Stanardsville, VA.
    Rob has been growing carnivorous plants for 33 years. He has been selling plants for 22 years.
    Rob has done a lot of work with highland nepenthes seedling in the amount of tolerances which they can take. He has his findings published in the March 2004 Carnivorous Plant Newsletter: Experiments with Highland Nepenthes Seedlings: A Summary of Measured Tolerances. You can read the article here: http://www.carnivorousplants.org/cpn...pSeedlings.htm .
    Rob also is working on trying to find a Darlingtonia californica which can take higher soil temperatures. He is going about this by having someone he knows collect seed legally from different sites which the soil temps were measured several times. He has some seedlings which were taken from plants which were growing in a soil temperature of 80-82 degrees. Only time will tell if the trait of the parents will flow down to the seedlings and allow them to also withstand higher soil temperatures.
    Rob also creates many hybrid Sarracenia. He is working on making more robust and red plants.
    Robs facility is very impressive. He specializes in Sarracenia, but also has many Nepenthes, Dionaea muscipula, a few Drosera, Heliamphora, Cephalotus follicularis, and Utricularia.
    I was tempted to buy a red tube flava, but did not. Now I'm kicking my, you know what, for passing up some very beautiful red tube plants. I'll have to pick one up next time I go and visit my sister.
    Thanks Rob.

Some Sarracenia growing a little bigger to be ready to sell. Also in the process of enlarging the area for more plants.

Sarracenia as far as the eyes can see.

Look, more Sarracenia.

Lots of neps and nep seedling growing in here.

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow. thats a big nursery.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    where is it?