Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nasc board

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It also matters what rules of order you follow. Robert's rules of order does not follow this. Anyone can bring new business before the board once they are recognized by the chair. Also not all business is run by the secretary, although they can be introduced by the secretary. Not all business is introduced by the secretary, but the secretary is a records keeper. A very important job. Business can be introduced by anyone.

The secretary also does not get to choose what information goes before the board. I am a secretary of a major organization and that is deffinately not in the job. Old business is taken care of and new business is called for. It was decided at the beginning that the Robert's Rules would be in use. All that has to happen is that the board must meet. We are tryig to take care of that.

As far as back stabbing - I will retract because proof has not been shown clearly enough. As far as this position being offered prior to the board's creation, then the board should have been informed. Besides nothing exist for the organization prior to its existance. Prior to the board's creation we were told that Carl would create the web. As a matter of fact we were told that until recently. I can understand if Carl can not do it, but then the decision should be brought up to the board. We either work together or we do not. That does not mean that PAK's and Bug's choice is not the right one. It means that the board needs to discuss things. I believe that we can and will work together.

As to what each board position is to do, I will post the descriptions later as I am only on break right now. The descriptions were taking from what is being used by most non-profit organizations.

Pak, Bugweed and I have communicated and are working out the problem. The board will be communicating directly, without outside intervention.
    I am just like a Super Hero, but without the power or motivation.................and the funky suit.

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very well said Tamlin, I think the NASC needs somebody like you. I think we would be very lucky if you ever decided to take a board position.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have already bugged Tamlin to death on this, but he wishes to remain a hermit. He would be happier if he was here, thats for sure.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm new to this group and don't mean to intrude, but can't help wonder if anyone involved with the formation of the NASC has ever heard of the the NAPCC. It is the North American Plant Collections Consortium, which is administered by the American Association of Botanical Gardens and Arboreta (AABGA), in cooperation with the USDA Agricultural Research Service and The United States National Arboretum.
    See: http://www.aabga.org/public_....1970075

Various public gardens decide to hold "official" collections of various genera...i.e. Cornell Plantations holds the NAPCC collection of Acer (Maples), The Scott Arboretum of Swarthmore college has the collection of Ilex (Hollies) and Magnolias. Here a Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens, we are considering developing an NAPCC collection of one of the ferns of which we have many species (Dryopteris).

I could see one of the public gardens in the U.S. holding an "official" collection of Sarracenia, or any other genus of CP. I don't doubt that some of them already have extensive collections in place, on which they could build. Some of the gardens collaborate with various other organizations to develop these collections, i.e. for our fern collection, we could collaborate with the Hardy Fern Society of America.

I would just hate to see this group "reinvent the wheel" when there is already a similar mechanism in place.

For whatever it's worth...

John

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for that information. I will have to go check out there site.
    I am just like a Super Hero, but without the power or motivation.................and the funky suit.

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the information John. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img] I believe one of the ideas was having some of the CP nurseries as well as botanical gardens be "official collection holders." We didn't want to have just one main "collection" as a hedge against a catestrophic event (pests, disease) wiping it out. The more organizations and people we have that can "hold" the plants, the better it will be. Decentralization is safer than a single collection.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12