What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Orchid show, danjiang university (pix)

Hi everyone,

this morning me and my wife visited our local university's annual orchid show.
It was only one large room, but (at least in our laypeople's eyes) very, very nice.
I put some pictures online (three pages) for y'all to ogle.
Sorry I didn't jot down any names, but maybe you'll recognize a few
smile.gif

Thanks for sharing, Hans. My favorites: the Cycnoches hybrid (wish you knew what is was), and all the Bulbos-especially the specimen plant.
There's some fine Paph breeders there on the island-not everything is Phals! Do you know if they're located up in the central mountains where nights are cooler? There's some fine forms of P. sanderianum in Taiwan.

Hi Trent,

there's orchids everywhere here indeed, and the whole countryside in the southern half of Taiwan is littered with orchid shadehouses.

I'm not sure where exactly the paphs are bred, but I do know of a nursery in the Central Mountains that specialize in cooler-growing tropical plants (e.g. highland nepenthes), so I would imagine there might be other people up there cultivating paphs, too.

As to the bulbos: the prize-winning pink hybrid's called "Elizabeth Ann". I know that for sure because I bought one for four bucks on the way out
smile.gif

Back