User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Orchid show, danjiang university (pix)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi everyone,

this morning me and my wife visited our local university's annual orchid show.
    It was only one large room, but (at least in our laypeople's eyes) very, very nice.
    I put some pictures online (three pages) for y'all to ogle.
    Sorry I didn't jot down any names, but maybe you'll recognize a few [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for sharing, Hans. My favorites: the Cycnoches hybrid (wish you knew what is was), and all the Bulbos-especially the specimen plant.
    There's some fine Paph breeders there on the island-not everything is Phals! Do you know if they're located up in the central mountains where nights are cooler? There's some fine forms of P. sanderianum in Taiwan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Trent,

there's orchids everywhere here indeed, and the whole countryside in the southern half of Taiwan is littered with orchid shadehouses.

I'm not sure where exactly the paphs are bred, but I do know of a nursery in the Central Mountains that specialize in cooler-growing tropical plants (e.g. highland nepenthes), so I would imagine there might be other people up there cultivating paphs, too.

As to the bulbos: the prize-winning pink hybrid's called "Elizabeth Ann". I know that for sure because I bought one for four bucks on the way out [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]