Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What species is this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Should I have used a terra-cotta or plastic pot?

-Ben
    He who can, does. He who can't, teaches. -George Bernard Shaw
    I love these shirts!!!
    My Growlist
    My Webpage

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry its so long, but its your choice. Plastic doesn't dry out as fast since it doesn't transpire like teracotta does. It doesn't matter to the plant really. Atleast not that one because its not impairative it is bone dry before rewatering. There are a few species that do better in something that dries faster, but you should be fine with plastic for this one if you want.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have almost no orchids in plastic because my orchids spend the summer outside and they have to be able to tolerate the occasional rainy week. A plastic pot can be a place for roots to die when the weather stays wet. Another problem is that an orchid in a plastic pot of bark is top-heavy and incompatible with a good gust of wind. But most orchids can be grown in almost anything if conditions are properly controlled. Moss soaks up water like a sponge and I always found orchids grown in sphagnum had a zone of dead roots in the middle of the pot. And the stuff breaks down quickly and orchids in it need to be repotted more frequently than I want to be repotting. It doesn't work for me, but it's great for people have the right conditions.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats it Bruce. You hit the nail on the head. People need to experiment and find what works for them. I used to grow in alot of sphag, but I have been moving away from it lately. I find that it doesn't break down that bad for me, but it compacts really easy. With it being compacted it doesn't hold water as well. I guess that may be a sign of breaking down I guess. I have a few plants in it that need to be repotted, but they are not suffering from being in it now though even thought its compacted. My GH just drys out really fast at the moment. Now you say you find a dead spot of roots in the center. I don't have that to often unless its a newly aquired plant. My plants here in GA even during winter need to be watered about every 3 days. Summer days I can water once a day on some days. Plastic pots are topheave with a healthy orchid on top so I stick the pot into a clay pot or something else to keep it sturdy if I am growing in plastic. Even my plastic pots dry pretty fast here in GA. So you kt the nail on the head. Its great for people who have the right conditions.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12