Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What species is this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I was in NJ a few years back, looking at the many greenhouses of Atlock Farms, I was walking around with the guy who made it, something-or-other Atlock. I saw some un-potted orchids just laying around, and said, "Hey, are you gonna pot those guys up? They might die." And he said, "How about you take one? I'm sure you'd take better care of it than me." So, I got one, and took it home and potted it up into a 3 inch pot with some peat, perlite, orchid park, and charcoal, and it has been growing new shoots for me, but never any taller. I would like to know what species this is, and what conditions I should grow it in.

I recently unpotted it, and sorta left it that way, just as something-or-other Atlock had, so that's why it kinda looks lousy.

-Ben
    He who can, does. He who can't, teaches. -George Bernard Shaw
    I love these shirts!!!
    My Growlist
    My Webpage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By looking at the orchid grow guide, I assume it is a type of Cattelya.

-Ben
    I love these shirts!!!
    My Growlist
    My Webpage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not from the US, but here in tropical Singapore, those looks suspiciously like Dendrobium. I might be totally wrong, anyway. Just my 1/2 cents.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks right to me. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

-Ben
    I love these shirts!!!
    My Growlist
    My Webpage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dendrobiums are a used in a big way here in Southeast Asia in the cut-flower industry. Perhaps like Cattelyas and Cymbidiums in the States. There are many hybrids and varieties around and this makes naming them quite challenging, especially without flowers. Perhaps your plant can be grown in a lowland Nepenthes condition, i.e. hot and humid! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks like a Mini Den or Den/Phal Mix. I wouldnt use peat in the mix. Not enough air flow. I have mine in straight sphag, but a bark mix would do fine too. Strong light. I can't remember if I had mine in full sun or not. Many Dens can take full sun if acclimated to it. The flowers on mine are pink to purple and pretty long lasting. It will flower from the tops of the canes. Mine goes dry before I water again most of the time so she will do fine if you forget a day or two past dryness because of the Pbulbs. If you have any more questions post it here and I will try to check back. Good luck.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are no Dendrobium-Phalaenopsis mixes, but there are Phalaenopsis type Dendrobiums. They are 100% Dendrobium, with flowers that look a bit like a Phalaenopsis. They're supposed to be easy, but I've never had any success with them. But I don't think that plant is one. They tend to have taller, multi-leaf canes, like in Ben's illustration. Dendrobium species range from hot to cold habitats and some (probably most) won't survive lowland Nep conditions. But the Phalaenopsis type Dendrobiums might enjoy it.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I were you I would pot the guy up in some moss and give it plenty of light. Mine gets almost full sun. Temps no lower than 60 and since mine is in the sun it gets pretty warm. When summer gets here I will have to water things atleast every other day. Especualy the things I keep in the sun or almost full sun. Goodluck. I find mine to be pretty easy. Its the species that I have heard needed a winter rest. If it is reluctant to bloom this year I would try a winter rest on it. in the winter month cut back water and fert until you start to see ne growth. Then resume feeding and watering as normal. During the rest you would want to just water the plant ro reduce bulb shrinkage.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast