Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Random Orchid pic's

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can't air layer a Phal and they aren't easy to clone by any other means either. Unlike most other orchids, it's very rare for a Phal to grow a new plant from its base. Some will naturally grow keikis (babies) on their flower stalks and Phal equestris (and its hybrids) do that a lot. Others can be coaxed into growing keikis by applying something called keikigrow (I think) to inactive flower buds. I've never done it, but that's the only way to clone a Phal without doing that junior microbiologist tissue culture thang. If you're set up for that, you can duplicate them by the thousands, but your grandparent will probably lose their interest after the first hundred.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Bruce. can other orchids be air-layered? My dads friend works with orchids and he suggested it.....i gues he might have been thinking of another type... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's no need to make all the effort to air-layer them. Usually orchids are just divided and potted or mounted or whatever. It's nice if you can get some good roots with the division, but not a big problem if you can't. Just protect a new division from direct sun and excessive drying until it can get itself established. It's usually best to wait until an orchid starts an active growth cycle before dividing or repotting it.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12