Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question about repotting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (herenorthere @ Mar. 22 2006,9:07)]Is the entire thing powdercoated or just the surface where combustion occurs? I'd be surprised if the interior is powdercoated because mechanical stresses are high and thermal stress is low there.
    Yeah the whole thing is powdercoated. Inside and out.
    My life sucks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (herenorthere @ Mar. 22 2006,9:07)]If I wanted an orchid on a rotor, I'd cheat by finding a plastic pot to fit inside and grow the orchid in that. You can even hold the mix in the pot with mesh and hold the pot in the rotor with putty and hang the thing sideways. If you rig it up with something more advanced than putty, you'd even be able to slide the pot out for watering. It'll look like an orchid growing off a rotor and only you would know the difference. That would look pretty cool with a deciduous Dendrobium, like Dend aphyllum.
    Thats exactly what I did with the Nep in my Avatar pic. It is growing in a little pot inside the rotor. So far its doing awsome. It's just a pain to move around.
    My life sucks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (nepenthes_ak @ Mar. 21 2006,9:52)]Think of it as putting a VFT in a metal pot... not to good is it? im sure the effects are quicker though.

Cheers
    Whats wrong with a metal pot? Especially a powdercoated metal pot. I'm growing it in my room so it wont get to hot or cold.
    My life sucks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    most metals(especially steel) is fairly reactive so you may get corrosion that produces compounds that are bad gor your plant.

if yah want to try it go ahead your out what $10 for a grocery store Phal? if the block is powder coated you might want to try a Cattleya hybrid as they are more tollerant of drying out.

Bruce my boss will coat almost an entire engine with certain powder coatings, even the pistons. its fairly popular with some drag racers. some of the coatings reduce friction by quite a bit over the standard steel on steel with oil.
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright so I'll start looking for a Cattleya hybrid.

The rotor I have is damaged, I pulled it out of my old engine when it blew. After that I sent it out to a buddy of mine for powdercoating. Right now it's just a decoration.

When I do this, do I just sit the orchid on top of the rotor? Or is there some sort of procedure I need to know?
    My life sucks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mount orchids by trimming back the roots severely and putting the plant on the mount how I want it to sit. Then I form a thin pad of LFS around the base of the plant (on top of the roots, not between roots and mount). I use thin wire to hold it together, but lots of people use fishing line (monofilament, not the braided stuff). When the plant is well established, I remove the wire.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yep what Bruce said.....................
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Copcar I have Many Cat hybreds I could trade you. I don't think there are very many minis though. I do have some seedling Pot (potonia) which is a Cat type hybred. I know it has red flowers, but still to small to bloom. I have a bench full of Hybreds with NoIDs that I need to get rid of. I only keep a select few of NoID plants, and almost all of these I have not seen flower since I recieved them out of flower with NoID. I have had some surprises though that I was pleased with. One of them flowered around valentines day and was a red I decided to keep necause I liked it and it spontaniously self pollinated so I am going to give it a shot at flasking again with this seedpod.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12