What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SHOW US YOUR ORCHIDS/FLOWERS!

I got the triangularis recently but I just set it up outside on a rack under shade cloth with an ultrasonic humidifier next to the other masdis/dracs. I live in coastal SoCal so the temps are pretty highland. 45-55 night and 67-75 day. I need to compensate for the humidity though because it's only at about 40% most of the time. I figure the humidity will stay in the setup but if it doesn't I'll seal it off more and put in a fan for air circulation.

A few chids

EplcGreenbird1_zps23cd4b91.jpg

Some orchid wierdness here.....

EplcGreenbird2_zps3707eff8.jpg

Love the coloration, really don't like the form

AngelFantasy_zpscb6cd171.jpg

Color came out surprisingly true here

OtaaraKrullSmith_zps87ca8161.jpg

Cute, easy, fragrant mini

Denrigidum2_zpsfea9a657.jpg

Denrigidum1_zps799287ac.jpg

NoIDlittlewlhitephal_zps8cd21ba1.jpg

NoIDPinkblushedPhal_zpsacfe6c46.jpg

SaluPeoker2_zps58f68c4c.jpg

first bloom ever! weeeeee

orkidegenel.jpg

Beautiful blooms everyone!

Here is my first Lepanthes telipogoniflora flower:
IMG_6391_zpsd3b2b01e.jpg

I've always liked that Lep. Don't often see it offered for sale though.

DragonEye, I ordered mine overseas from ecuagenera.com. They have shows throughout the year in the US. When they come, they will mail the plants to you from whatever city they are in so no permits are needed on my end. They do charge a fee of around $5.00 per plant ordered though. My experience was very good with them.

A few bloomers ......

Really need to get a macro lens some day -- flowers this small (approx. 2mm across) are difficult to get decent pics of otherwise.

Not the most stunning Encyclia flower but an easy grower and faithful bloomer

Two recent bloomers

Angraecum didieri

blswtjgp-2-3.jpg

Grass Pink,Calopogon tuberosus

blswtjgp-8.jpg

Wow Chib, love that angraecum. Flower is beautiful, and liking the blue-hue foliage! Is it a particularly rare plant?

Wow Chib, love that angraecum. Flower is beautiful, and liking the blue-hue foliage! Is it a particularly rare plant?

TOG, not really. I see them with some regularity at shows. Oakhill often has them.

Lovely Calopogon, Chib. Did you buy tubers of that one or was it just growing wild in your yard?

TOG, not really. I see them with some regularity at shows. Oakhill often has them.

Lovely Calopogon, Chib. Did you buy tubers of that one or was it just growing wild in your yard?

I bought a single tuber in 2007. It's been spreading slowly ever since.

A Maxillaria I got about a month ago with two new blooms, I'll have to go check on the name, don't have it memorized yet

Restrepia trichoglossa that I brought in from the shade house pretty torn up about 2 months ago, has a bunch of new leaves and then these two new blooms

That max is beautiful

dendrobium hellwigianum, only 2 flowers this year....
9206552482_dd19055786_b.jpg

As a beginner I love Oncidium. Sending up its second flower stalk right now

8mfw.jpg

Interesting coloration on that Max.

Sweet den, Amp. Too bad it would likely prefer cooler temps than I can provide.

Looking good, Maxima. Don't generally do onc.s myself -- most get far too big for my space and they often have trouble with my conditions/culture.

My gorgeous key lime pie colored Phaelenopsis, Trader Joe's special:

A local pretty I found in Morgan Hill at a Masonic Lodge. Epipactis of some sort.

Starting with the noid phals...

then the one that looks somewhat unusual to me:/

Then Dendrobium 'Snowy White'

Last, but not least... Oncidium 'Sharry Baby' (Unknown cross/ hybrid name) I don't think this one is 'Sweet Fragrance' Sharry baby though:)
Also, notice the mutant blossom?

So far, I've successfully pollinated the oncidium! It sorta sucks I'm not gonna smell the chocolate and vanilla scent until next year... bummer

That's the only sucky part about Oncidiums. ;) You have to wait soooo long for the next bloom.

If you ever get a chance, try to find O. Sharry Baby "Cherry Doll." You won't regret it. Chocolate, vanilla, and a hint of raspberry.

the one that looks somewhat unusual to me:/

A peloric mutation ... although in this case the lip took on the characteristics of a petal instead of the other way round. The flower is sterile. Not a super common mutation. Unlikely that the plant will do so again on its next blooming.

So far, I've successfully pollinated the oncidium! It sorta sucks I'm not gonna smell the chocolate and vanilla scent until next year... bummer

If you think that's a bummer, wait until you see how long it takes for pod maturation and then for any seedlings to reach blooming size. Heh

Why wouldn't you get to smell it until next year? Is it now out of bloom? Sharry Baby can bloom twice a year btw.

Ah, "Stinky Baby" as it is referred to by many folks I know. Why, you ask? It is one thing to have a few blooms (20-40)
in a large open room. It is quite a different story to be trapped with a large multi-spiked blooming plant in the confines of a vehicle with the windows rolled up (because one is taking said plant to a winter show).

Back