What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SHOW US YOUR ORCHIDS/FLOWERS!

I've tried Thelymitra before with tubers from Australia, but couldn't manage to adapt them to northern hemisphere seasons.
I’ve heard that is a problem with many southern hemisphere tuberous plants— not just tuberous orchids. I imagine they can run into the same issue with tuberous plants from the northern hemisphere.

. 'Cinderella' is a primary hybrid of T. rubra and the famous, but impossible to maintain T. variegata, and is the closest thing to it appearance wise. Hopefully I can post pics of these in flower come spring:

is there anything in particular that makes variegata “impossible to maintain “? Sounds a bit like the issue I’ve heard with growing Disa … if you can provide Disa with their desired conditions, they will grow effortlessly for you. But if anything is off — by even a small amount — you can forget it. (Which is a big part of the reason I have never tried growing Disa.)

I’ve heard that is a problem with many southern hemisphere tuberous plants— not just tuberous orchids. I imagine they can run into the same issue with tuberous plants from the northern hemisphere.

is there anything in particular that makes variegata “impossible to maintain “? Sounds a bit like the issue I’ve heard with growing Disa … if you can provide Disa with their desired conditions, they will grow effortlessly for you. But if anything is off — by even a small amount — you can forget it. (Which is a big part of the reason I have never tried growing Disa.)
It appears to be pretty strongly mycoheterotrophic. People in Australia maintain rescued specimens for a season or 2, but they always decline and die. There has been work done in Japan with growing one of their native mycoheterotrophic species from seed over multiple generations which might prove applicable to other mycoheterotrophs.

Back