What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SHOW US YOUR ORCHIDS/FLOWERS!

Finally my noid Cat is blooming.

Cat-01-2013.jpg

Appears to have C. Chocolate Drop in its parentage ... may even be Chocolate Drop. Unfortunately, there are numerous hybrids out there that have utilized CD in the mix.

nativity-02_zps9e4333ab.jpg

A couple more .....

IMG_9249_zps8e9815f5.jpg

Once upon a time, this poor thing had a name. But, alas, its previous owners threw the name tag out for some reason. It was, after several years of not reblooming, handed over to me.

NoIDPhalsm_zpse4e4d834.jpg

3-wise-men_sm_zpse4951fc6.jpg

Hi all! New here...but saw these beautiful pictures on this thread and thought I'd share a few of my Phals :) Some brand new purchases...others several month old pics...but wanted to share them for your enjoyment!
148902_521321574574279_424250580_n.jpg

New as of yesterday (bargain shopping lol!) Phal
3892_521321581240945_1485806352_n.jpg

Same as above, except my first "mini orchids" :)
551657_513700362003067_1359743119_n.jpg

Another bargain phal that has had these two blooms since I got it a few months ago
398671_513700348669735_1837833780_n.jpg

Purchased same time as above, sporting only this bloom, which it still has :)

My "Twinkle" Yellow is in bloom! Mounted.

TwinkleYell02_zps8b5d3dc5.jpg

They're so petite! Beautiful :)

The "just add ice" makes me cringe. While I do know some folks for whom it works, I know many others for which it doesn't. Talk about a recipe for root trauma. In any event, I hope they do well for you, Cremmy.

Nice Twinkle, Tom.
:)

a somewhat restricted color palette to start off the new year, but beautiful regardless....

scaphosepalum swertifolum
8389975659_d42e0e883e_b.jpg

masdevallia decumana
8389975759_35f3d13d80_b.jpg

another dryadella albicans shot, no more flowers in a while after this...
8391059624_0cbdfa1134_b.jpg

trisetella hoejerii
8391059628_e56c10c760_b.jpg

Wow. Those are amazing!

Most of them look like they're flying.

a somewhat restricted color palette to start off the new year, but beautiful regardless...

Those are awesome species! I imported a Masd. decumana from an Ecuadorian nursery a few months ago. It came in in terrible shape and died within two weeks :censor:

How are you growing the Trisetella? I have one that grows well but hasn't bloomed.

@goods: yeah...i've learned that it's best to pick up plants from an ecuadorian nursery when they come into town for orchid shows, rather than have them mailed. the plants seem to fare better that way.

Trisetella is grown in typical highland fashion. watered once every two days in the winter and everyday during the rest of the year. northern exposure. i wouldnt be too discouraged with it not blooming just yet. my dryadella albicans took a good 2 years before putting up that show (look up) so expect a large abundance of flowers once it does.

Very nice, Amph!

Scaph swertifolium is one of my favorite orchids -- love the "mustaches" and the "getting ready to bite you" look. Very nice shot of it btw.

Excellent photo of the Trisetella hoejerii too. I've always liked that one but its culture is beyond what I can provide. :(

Your Dryadella is doing great!

I think you're right about picking them up from shows as the best bet with them. Unfortunately, they don't come anywhere near me. I'll have to commission my orchid friends across the country to go shopping for me when they come to shows! :help:

Thanks for the culture info. Sounds like I'm doing things about right. I guess I just need to give it a bit more time. Mine probably gets a bit too much light. I'd say roughly the outer half of each leaf is pink from the light levels

Another wowza from Dr. Phamtastic! Beautiful flowers and excellent pics - thanks for sharing and giving me more plants for my lists. LOL - I spent a few hours this w/e going thru the Ecuadorian supplier's list of available plants - one tab with their list & another open to the online orchid encyclopedia. The possibilities are crazy!

The "just add ice" makes me cringe. While I do know some folks for whom it works, I know many others for which it doesn't. Talk about a recipe for root trauma. In any event, I hope they do well for you, Cremmy.

Nice Twinkle, Tom.
:)

Honestly I just keep the tags on for ID purposes, and when I trade off orchids I send a tag with them ;) I use tags as guidelines and pour through the internet for better care tips :) I just find that a beautiful full-blooming orchid for under $5.00 that is pest free - is too much to pass up! My orchids are actually the healthiest of my plants amazingly...they're the ones I was the most scared of too lol, go figure...

Another wowza from Dr. Phamtastic! Beautiful flowers and excellent pics - thanks for sharing and giving me more plants for my lists. LOL - I spent a few hours this w/e going thru the Ecuadorian supplier's list of available plants - one tab with their list & another open to the online orchid encyclopedia. The possibilities are crazy!

oh my friend, you've just opened up a new can of worms...

oh my friend, you've just opened up a new can of worms...
Tell me about it. Friday night, my wife is waiting for me to watch a movie and I keep telling her - "in a few minutes" (thinking that there couldn't be that many more to go through). I finally copied the url of the page and went & watched the movie. The next day, when I was on my 2nd sitting (I think it took 3 to actually get through it), I stopped & asked myself "what have I started?"

As an aside, Bob Z's photofinder is amazing (duh - we all know that). I don't know what term to use for the online orchid encyclopedia --- yikes. :0o:

Uh oh, Ron...orchids can get pretty addictive, and there are TONS of them :poke: Take a look at the Colombian nursery too for a few more hours of research!

Just an FYI too, the international orchid encyclopedia does have a few ID inconsistencies and sometimes very inaccurate temperature recommendations. It's a great resource, though! Something I've found very useful is the altitudinal information. Knowing the altitude is much more useful than knowing that something grows "warm" or "cool". I learned the hard way that Pacific Northwest "warm" is not Louisiana "warm". Here's how I generally define temperature requirements based on elevation for those interested:

<750 masl- basically LL conditions; can survive a general lack in significant night drop (up to 1000 masl may be ok)
750-1250 masl- intermediate; days upper 70s to 80s should be ok with drops into the lower 60s (if you can get nights to 55, then that would be best)
1250-2000 masl- basically HL conditions; I wouldn't push much higher than 73 and drop to near 55 or slightly lower.
>2000 masl- I tend to avoid these even in my fridge setup, so I really can't comment***; upper 60s or lower 70s as highs and drops below 55 possibly down to ~45

***I do grow Masdevallia coccinea and ignea (2000-3800 masl) at 73/55. They haven't bloomed for me but grow and survive. I may need to drop it a bit lower to initiate blooming.

Back