What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SHOW US YOUR ORCHIDS/FLOWERS!

Even with the occasional inconsistency, Jay's encyc (I'm assuming that was the online orchid encyc you were perusing) is awesome. And I definitely tip my hat to Jay Pfahl for creating the encyc (talk about a massive undertaking!) and putting it out there for free use.

Even with the occasional inconsistency, Jay's encyc (I'm assuming that was the online orchid encyc you were perusing) is awesome. And I definitely tip my hat to Jay Pfahl for creating the encyc (talk about a massive undertaking!) and putting it out there for free use.
Totally agree. I've only started to explore this new world and already see a number of inconsistencies. However, given the overall number of pics & the amount of information which is shared, the errors are almost inconsequential.

Two mini's from recent trades (I missed the flowers on a 3rd because they only lasted for ~1.5 days)

- Blooming now - Porroglossum teaguei
Orchid-Porroglossumteaguei011913RS_zps308f7dc2.jpg

- four to six weeks ago - Sigmatostalix ibis
Orchid-sigmatostalixibix112712RS.jpg

.... and I thought focusing on Utric flowers was rough. These guys are a whole new world - in so many ways - yikes! :0o:

Sweet stuff Ron. Even I have difficulty capturing teaguei!

I agree as well. It's definitely the most comprehensive, easily accessible resource for species information. I usually go to it first for the picture and basic culture info and then dig deeper elsewhere if I'm still interested in learning more.

Ron, great photos! I really like that Porroglossum. Good growing.

We've been having a bunch of rain here lately and since I was out taking picture of the Cps, I also took some of the orchids that have been blooming.

Sorry, but I have no names to go along with these. I usually buy my orchids from the sale rack and rarely do they still have their labels or any blooms to identify them. But I think they're pretty none the less :)

A common purple orchid
DSC_4513_zpscc59a481.jpg

I love this one, smells so pretty! Its suppose to have a chocolate smell.
DSC_4520_zpsa925a4ab.jpg

I was very excited to see the colors on this one. I bought it without blooms and a tag, so it was a bit of a gamble. But, I think it paid off :-D
DSC_4529_zps817b4a77.jpg

DSC_4618_zps5153ffa6.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice! Your first is a Dendrobium hybrid, probably with Den. phalaenopsis or something similar in the background. Second is most probably Onc. Sharry Baby aka the chocolate orchid. Last is a Phalaenopsis hybrid of some sort.

Mystery Pahiopedalum just opened.
009.jpg

010.jpg

Nice vini that.

\

Bulbophyllum cernuum

Nice mini! How big is the actual plant?

It's about as long as my thumb so 2-3" long. Some people also list it as B. viniculibulbum.

my cymbidium has 3 stalks but they are kinda slow. i wonder how long the flowers remain healthy when they finally bloom

cymb01v.jpg

cymb02.jpg

cymb03.jpg

my cymbidium has 3 stalks but they are kinda slow. i wonder how long the flowers remain healthy when they finally bloom

Like any flower, keep them in a coolish place for longest lasting life.

There are four or five flowers open on this plant at the moment, but after an exhausting attempt at convincing my camera to focus on the flowers, rather than the plant, I was able to get lucky once and only once, and the subject is still a bit out of focus.

The only picture I could manage of P. ornata:

P. ornata

what an interesting flower. are those white projections coming from the margin of the petal?

Purty :3 I was considering getting this one maybe.

what an interesting flower. are those white projections coming from the margin of the petal?

Yes, it's pretty interesting. When I bought it, Andy was telling me there is a wasp in Mexico that feeds on maggots and it's believed that the dangling appendages are what attract the wasp.

Surprisingly, they are dangling from the sepal margins.

Very difficult to capture. Kudos for the attempt. It flowers quite readily and often, but the dangly things always are in a nonphotogenic position that I've given up trying to photograph it.

Have you tried giving them the finger? Put a finger behind them, focus, remove finger, and shoot. Sorta.

Nice orchid, though! What is P? I'd like to get one some day.

P for Pleurothallis, Katie. And yeah, I did try the finger method, but it didn't seem to help. I'm really stumped as to why my camera won't focus on those particular flowers.

Back