Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maxillaria tenuifolia

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought a Maxillaria tenuifolia (Coconut Orchid) last summer at the RI Orchid Show. I purchased it when it was in bloom. I was moving plants around in my lowland terrarium and found that it bloomed:

I have three that I'm growing in lowland, intermediate and highland conditions. I have read that it does get down to a low in the 50F range.

It is fragrant with a strong smell of coconut. If I was limited to only grow one orchid, this one would be it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    before I trading it for something I wanted a whole lot. I remember the Max, but not what I got for it. I also had a Max hematoglossa and traded it for some cloud forest species I mostly killed. Moral of the story - I shoulda kept both of them.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ill check tags but do yah think yah sent it to me Bruce? if its the orchid im thinking of i might be able to divide it
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how expensive are they actually? do they make good house plants like Phals.?
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (glider14 @ Mar. 27 2006,7:33)]how expensive are they actually? do they make good house plants like Phals.?
    I spent $25 on this one, but you can get them cheaper for smaller plants. I am growing one outside a terrarium and it is doing OK. It is supposed to be an easy orchid to grow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What happened to my message?!? I swear it made sense when I typed it. Maybe I did send that Max to you Rattler. If I did, I hope you like it and thanks for offering me a piece of it. I know I sent the other Max to someone in California. But I'm trying to cut the orchid collection back by 1/2 or more in the next couple months, and I would probably put it in the upcoming auction if I still had it.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    checked the tag last night and its one of the ones you sent me.

Glider, havent bloomed mine yet but its growing just fine outside a terrarium for me. humidity in my house must be all of 15% right now do to it being winter and the furnace is going. its growing just fine
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I wish someone could shed some light on how to bloom this sucker. I have one that is filling a 6 inch basket and its more than bloom sized, yet it refuses to bloom. I think its the non blooming variety. I have done everything from trying to fry it with full sun to letting it get dry. I duno what to do next. It is already really yellow from getting so much sun last summer. LOL I have two Max's and both are a pain to bloom. The other is a rufiscens (sp) yellow form, and its growing like a weed, but not flowering either. I duno I am about to give up on it.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast