Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Orchid Idiocy

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup thats the bad thing about moving a plant before the buds are almost fully developed there is a chance of bud blast. If the bud is almost developed the chances are less, but still possible. I have some plants that do it when I move them in from the GH to the living room for display. So I have been trying my hardest to leave them in the GH till the flowers start to open, but its hard sometimes. Yes Joe when you cut the spike back to just above the first dorment node it normaly restarts a flower cycle. If the plant is health this is fine. I do it all the time., but once the spike quits in order to almost garentee a spike the next year from the newest mature leave the best regimen I have been told is to chill it to 55. Some will spike with a temp drop less than that, and I have been told that all they need is a 10 to 15 degree night temp drop to start to spike. So there are many ways to do it. The 55 degree thing was told to me by a guy who rents out his phals during the masters to pay for his heating bills the following year. So he has to time his spikes so they are blooming during that week, and thats what he told me to do to get phals to spike. He said once he sees spikes forming on his phals he bumps the temp back up to a night time temp of 60. GL and glad yours is blooming well for you. It sounds like you have a handle on it. Phals were my enemy when I started groing orchids. I killed so many of them, but kept the hard plants alove. Go figure.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No problems yet. I actually think I have a chance of keeping them - I managed to repot both my Phals while they were in bloom without losing any buds (they had climbed almost completely out of their pots.) That was almost a month ago and the oldest spike just started to drop this weekend. I actually like orchids for their interesting foliage, as I'm a fan of succulents; that they have spectacular flowers is just gravy to me. As far as I'm concerned, the plants can flower any time they like, so long as they don't die. Thanks for the tips though.
    Have a good one.
    ~Joe

PS - Josh: looking over your earlier post and had a few questions... Did you mean to say that Paphs are intolerant of fertilizer? And what kind of watering would you recommend, if not the tray? I was figuring on doing both the Paph and Onc by soaking every week or so with my Phals and Tillandsia.
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well there are some people who grow phrags in trays with running water flowing through the trays. Paphs would not do well in trays like that. Some people also grow phrags sitting n about an inch of water. Paphs would rot that way too. I don;t know how intolerant paphs are of fertalizers to be honest. I just know that over at another site someone had made a mistake of watering his paphs with fertalizer mixxed for his other orchids and about killed them. I assume it was too strong and burned the roots. My paphs get the same fert as all my other plants, but I don;t fert regularly, and I only use 1/4 strength orchid fert. You can soak them to water thats fine. You just can't grow them sitting in water as some people do with phrags. I didn;t mean to confuse you. I have heard that Paphs and phrags along with Masdis and Draculas like nice clean water like CPs. I water everything with rainwater most of the time except when I need to do a thorough water like today then I use the hose because its much easier. I hope this clears things up for you. If not ask and I will try to clear up what I know.
    JB

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Paphs can be fed, I feed mine 1/4 strength every other watering. I keep the soil moist but not soggy. I do NOT sit in in water like a VFT though. My Supersuk "Eureka" AM/AOS x Raisin pie "Hsinying" x Sib is in bloom and has been for 2 weeks now.

Tom
    Twitter : Tommytimbertoes

This signature removed because of whining little crybabies.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never said you couldn't fertilize a paph. I was told they were sensative to over fertilizing.
    JB

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12