Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what spieces is best?

Metal King
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want to grow orchids at home but I dont want to do too many tricks, like getting high humidity and stuff.

My house is kinda dry but we get humid summers.

What species would do well with pretty much minimal care (and ideally grow pretty quick, maybe flower kinda often and aren't really expensive)

I'm thinking of getting one of those little Home Depot "starter" ones, that come in the clamshell package like VFTs usually do

Any suggestions??
    Da Growlist

"You don't need a license to drive a sandwich"-Spongebob Squarepants

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should get a Phal. I have one and it's pretty easy, I just mist it once every day and water it every two weeks. It's my first orchid and so far so good.
    My life sucks

Metal King
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, that is what I was sorta expecting- that care regimen sounds do-able
    Thanks for the response!
    Da Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Paphs are easy, too and remind me of cps more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oncidiums can be absolutly bomb proof for some individuals. my most abused plant in the house is an Oncidium orchid, blooms about every 3 months too
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any of those mentioned so far are good choices, so maybe start with whichever you like best or you find cheap. I can grow Phals almost as easily as I grow dandelions, but I do terribly with Oncidiums. My first orchids were quick-sale Dendrobiums and they never did well. But I tried others, not knowing what I was doing, and started learning which orchids I grow well and which ones I don't.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want easy I wouldn't start with a species orchid. Go with a hybred. Many hybreds can bloom more than once a year and are less picky than most species. You really do not want to get a species Phal. Most are picky. The easy ones folks are talking about are the hybreds. Those can be easy, but read up on them. Letting water stand in the crown can lead to crown rot. Almost all orchids require good air movement, but there some that can do ok with less air movement. I would say get a cymbidium. They can go outside and get full sun till about noon then you want them to have some protection from the non time sun till about 4 or 5. Then ful sun til dark. They can take down till just above freezing and even though they bloom once a year they grow fast and can even be planted in dirt. They are yard plantrs in Fla and Cali. I have found gongora to be an easy species for me and did well in my house. It blooms once a year though. I wouls stay away from Catt, Phal, and Den species. Hybreds are ok, but the species require more strict culture and not recomended for beginners. I hear Paphs are eays the hybred anyways, but they ar not for everyone. I have problems with getting even the hybreds to flower, but some people do great with them. The light range for orchids go from 800 foot candles to about 3000 foot candles to a few that can take full sun at about 6000 foot candles. You just need to read up on them. If your just itching to start though anything you see for sale at walmart, lowes or Home Depot will be the easy ones to grow. I haven't ever seen any species there, but I have heard that some stores do get them from time to time, but they are generaly the easier ones to grow.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Metal King
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone!!
    My wife (who is the actual "interested party") just came back from the local supermarket and said that they had a big pile of different coloured-flowering phals (meaning, I would suspect, "non species" hybrids) so I guess we would be safe with one of them...

cymbidium sounds intriguing too, I will keep on the lookout for such a thing , and wil always have this thread for quick reference, thanks so much for all the responses (now you can begin the countdown to "What is wrong with my (insert name of Orchid I decided to try)" thread penned by yours truly)
    Da Growlist

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast