Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ghost and Coconut orchids

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    glider, actually i have not worked with ghost orchids, plan on starting this year. they are well known for being difficult to grow for most. some do great with them and maybe you will be one. im thinking of trying one in a dart frog tank as it seems to be close to ideal conditions.
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool, a ghost orchid! How about a pic?
    larry
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/bigflytrap/
    Save a tree, legalize cannabis.
    Be enlightened

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Think of the conditions in the FL, Everglades and that's how a ghost orchid should grow best, would that be "sub tropical"? From sping until fall I'll be growing mine in the hot Lowland terrarium and then put in the cool highland chamber until spring to give it that temp variation. Indeed Polyrhizza is not a petty plant but I like interesting plants more than pretty. A snarl of slivery green roots that blooms a big white flower is interesting! My pals orchid shop has several rarer ghost orchid species than the US one from the Adaption movie but I've yet to see any of them flower to see how they differ.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this is my little baby

swords:what sort of air circulation do they need? how big do the flowers get? and what time of year do they bloom?
    alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe they bloom around August in the highest summer heat. But as I say, mines not here yet either (c'mon mailman) but what I described is how I'll be growing mine: lowland for spring and summer and a dark area of the highland for winter. The blooms are usually 4-5" but I've seen them at orchid shows up to 6".

As far as air circulation goes, as long as water doesn't sit unevaporated on the roots for more than an hour or so it should be fine. If you don't have a very humid place for it to hang (80% RH or higher) your main concern is going to be keeping those roots hydrated enough for it to stay alive as it has no stem, pseudobulbs or leaves to retain any kind of moisture in hard (dry) times. My grow chambers are filled with fog anytime the humidity dips below 80%. I still spray my mounted plants every other morning or two with about 1/2 gallon of water so they don't have a chance to dry out too much. I fertilize the mounted plants at least weekly as they have no soil where nutrients can accumulate and any extra is washed off on the next spraying of pure water.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't tell you when they bloom, and I really can't tell you much from experience because I have never tried one. From what I read they don;t like being blown on dirrectly. They like really high numidity and the able to dry of fast. I know some people who cut a window of sorts in a milk jug and grow them in there ti keep them protected from dirrect air and keep the local humidity up. Another things I heard was to grow them on a kind of wire mesh cages type structure. I will need to find the link from another site about how these folks were growing thiers.

I plan to grow mine in a vive with a pool of water in the bottom. In this pool of water I will as a fish tank air stone that will be bubbleing air through the water. I will mount the ghost orchid above the water where it will get the blast of humidity from the airstones in the bubbling water. That coupled with frequent mistings and long photo periods and hopefully I can get some nice ghosts growing. I just have no room yet, and haven't looked into buying any. Good luck since many say they are an advanced orchid keepers orchid. Then again what is advanced for one may seem like childs play ot others, and for no particular reason either. Go figure.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The wire mesh is just plastic or metal chicken wire from the hardware store - they only sell it this time of year so if you want some gotta get out there! The reason for using that is you can get a 24" x 48" sheet (or whatever your terrarrium dimensions are) and affix it to the back of your terrarium and hang all your mounted orchids and other plants from their hooks in any place on the grid. higher up means they get more light lower down they get less. I have the lowlight mounted orchids such as phalaenopsis hanging under the bench in my lowland terrarium so they don't burn. Place your Ghost carefully and check it often. If you see reddening root tips or the roots go from plump to shriveled quickly after watering move it to a shadier place and/or water more often.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    alright from what youall have told me...its fine! the roots stay green a while after i water them. i water it in the morning from 6-7am and i look at them after school which is about 3:30pm and they are still green. thatnks for all your help!
    Swords: can epiphitatic orchids be grown in pure gravel? it would provide probably the best drainage...but then again it might drain to much i got this idea when i was potting two small Phals. in a basket(from easter ) i just learned how to properly water them...yay! when i dipped them in the water, most of the loose dirt(the soil is bark and i thing some peat moss?) drained right out of the basket! so with the gravel it wont come out! for the water retention i guess i could add some spahgnum moss layers in the mix. any ideas on this?
    thanks
    alex

PS...i was thinking about using the gravel with all my orchids. Militondium, Phalenopsis,Degamora, Maxirilla, and a Dendroborium. if the gravel will work could i use it with these??
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast