What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best color orchid to give a girl?

I want to get my girl a orchid but I'm not sure what color to get. What would you guys get?

Why would I get your girl an orchid? No matter what she thought of it, I doubt you'd be happy and I know my wife would be mad.

Never ask an orchid enthusiast for this kind of advice. We're drawn to weird species with flowers that look like an octopus or a bug or some kind of fleshy alien appendage. Maybe it would go over well, probably it won't.

Find an orchid and a reason you think she'd like it, and get it for her. Learning to give thoughtful gifts takes trial and error, and it's more or less different for each new person.
You're getting it for her for looks, right? So pick an orchid with a flower with a style and color you think she'd like. Think about the types of things she keeps around her house for decoration, or her jewelry or clothes - those are all dead giveaways of her aesthetic. Go for an easy one, too - giving living things as gifts is a risky proposition because people tend to get to feeling upset or guilty if a gift dies.
Best luck,
~Joe

Going out on a limb here, but you might consider a purple Cattleya.

or go with classic white bombproof phalaenopsis
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Aug. 09 2006,10:02)]or go with classic white bombproof phalaenopsis
smile.gif
I think for some people Oncidium are easier...we've managed to kill several bombproof phals and so far they never rebloom for us.

get her Onc 'Sharry Baby'. they smell like chocolate!
Picture
my dad and were thinking about getting one for my mom for mothers day. it kinda lost hope and then it was rely expensive at the nursery(like $100 for one in flower!) but i guess that was just because of mothers day demand.
Alex

Shop around for Sherry Baby. They are a mass produced clone and shouldn't cost 100 bucks for a flowering one. A freind of mine spent 45 here at my hospital gift shop for one, but I tilld her that was too much. I don;t have one yet, but they are everywhere from what I hear. Well, I would respond more on this later I have to get to work.

Do orchids come in pale pink, like roses? That's what my wife would like.

Yes Im I have a phrag sedenii in bloom right now. Its a pale pink slipper. Its a hybred, but they have it on orchidspecies.com go check it out.

they come in all shades of color except black.

Yes I deffinately think that a purple slipper orchid woud be the Plant to give her, they're absolutely sublime!

k, so not 100% black but almost
smile_m_32.gif

catasetum

doesnt look like a catasetum...looks like a cymbidium.
Alex

lol, ask sunsetvalleyorchids.com not me
smile.gif

I got my wife this one, but I take care of it. She doesn't even know it is hers until it blooms like today!
P1020190.jpg

Blc. Mem Crispin Rosale 'Lu Kang'

Does youre girl like flowers
is she interested in keeping plants
does she take intrest in youre CP's?
What color does she like?
Has she ever said something like youre Nepenthes look like a male organ, or something disgusting you might do to a nepenthes??

If she likes flowers then youre on the right track
If she is interested in plants and keeping them does she know how to, or does she care about orchids?
If she takes interest in youre CP's think a little bit more crazy looking blooms for youre Orchids
If she says something about youre nepenthes looking like a male organ, or she thinks you do something with youre nepenthes, then... well you might not want to get her a flower as she probably doesnt like plants like that in the first place And i would stick with getting her some roses...

Preaty frilly colorfull (girly colors) simple shapped Orchids are a good way to go as well.

Clint that looks like that fredsomething or another or something like that. Its is a new hybred that is the blackest looking flower to date. One out of a bunch of seedlings exibited that color. It was in the AOS magazine. I forget the cross used to make it, but the flower is sooooo dark that it looks BLACK. But folks are correct there is no black pigment to make a TRUE black flower. It looks black to us, but it is actualy very dark purple and reds to make that black coloration.

Steve that is a nice flower there for your wife. I have a similar experience. There is a plant my wife picked out from carter and holmes. It is a red Catt hybrid. I grow it and she doesn't have to do anything but look at it. You sure wouldn't want to spell it unless you liked black licoric(sp) It give me a headache smelling it. Anywho I can say that my wife does know which one is hers though, but she doesn't do a thing to help grow it. LOL

Back