Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Best way to get started?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How easy are Paphs? I've seen them and like them alot.

I've seen the opposite of herenothere. Most people seem I know fail with Phals but if they succeed it is often an Oncidium of sorts.
    1 Nxventrata

D. muscipula & D. muscipula 'Red Dragon'(barely)

Sarracenia leucophylla(seedling)

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Nflytrap @ Aug. 14 2006,12:20)]How easy are Paphs? I've seen them and like them alot.

I've seen the opposite of herenothere. Most people seem I know fail with Phals but if they succeed it is often an Oncidium of sorts.
    im one of those! . yea phals dont like me very much i have Degamora(inter) and Miltondium(inter?) growing beautifuly bu my phals....one a leaf growth thats about it.
    Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have OK luck with Phals, had an unnamed Oncidium that was the most abused plant in my house and it flowered for me on each new growth which was every 3-4 months. most of my orchids now are small species that i put in my dart tanks. start with the cheap ones and than move on to what ever else you decide you like the look of.
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't forget to look on the back shelf or table. Once they are done blooming stores may lower the price by 5o%.
    Stephen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look around before jumping at the first 50% off orchid you see. That's the greatest discount the nearest HD will give, but others in the area cut deeper and so does the nearest Lowes. A nearby grocery store sometimes gets a few Phals and discounts them down to $2 - $4 after the blooms wilt. Phals bloom so long that it takes a lot of patience, but I always glance over to see if any have landed on the quick-sale cart.

But if the discounted cost of a chain store orchid is much beyond $5, leave the plant there and place an order with Oak Hill Gardens instead. Oak Hill is the king of economical orchids; and with an awesome selection of species to boot. The website is at http://www.oakhillgardens.com/.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all for the info. I was reading through the culture sticky and I have a question.

I found one halved off at a Super Wal-mart when I was on vacation in PA. I believe it's called the Spider Orchid, has yellow flowers with markings.

Is it normal for Orchids to have exposed roots, especially at the surface (feeder roots?). Or is this a sign that it needs replanted? If it needs replanted I'm going to get some orchid bark and make a mix of bark, coco fiber and perlite.

Thanks again.
    James 1:17

"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pots are for our conveinence. Not the orchid. You can;t keep many orchids in a pot easily. Its normal to see arial roots. Sometimes its a sign that the mix is too wet and they want to get dryer. As a general rule you should repotr anything you buy to check the root system anyway. Bark is a good base mix to start with and then modify it from there as you learn your growing conditions and habits. I will respond more after I have had some sleep.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i like the way aerial roots look. like a million earthworms crawling for attention

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast