Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Best way to get started?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's the cheapest means to get started? The smallest orchids I've found at local farmers markets are like $15/25. I take it these aren't easy to come by in trade/cutting means?
    James 1:17

"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    garden center orchids are the best place to start. visist some orchid shows...they sell plants! join the AOS. garden center orchids arent the cheapest way to get them but it is deffinatly the easiest.
    Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most my orchids I got from making trades with people on Garden Web in the orchid section. I traded some of my CP's for them.
    My first orchid I bought at Lowes for $10.00. 3 years later it's still doing great.

There are a few others here at Terraforums that grow orchids that may have extras.

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like Glider said JOIN your local orchid society. Even if you don't have any orchids! Tha AOS is 60 bucks a year, and my OS is 15 a year. Prices vary with local OS groups. OUrs just went up from 6 to 15 so we can get bette speakers to come and talk to us. Any who at almost EVERY OS they have a raffle table at the meetings. Older members bring in plants and donate to the OS then members buy raffle tickes. OUrs are 2 bucks each and you normaly get a plant a ticket. I know I do anyways. I have picked up some Nice plants. In fact thats where my HUGE ventrata thats now devided up came from. You may not get the easiest of orchids from there, but you can get some of the better ones and some easy. You just have to know what to look for. HD and lowes has some pretty good easy orchids, but they are generaly pricey for a mass produces clone in my opinion. Sometimes you can find them cheap, but not lately. If your looking for some farely general easy cultivating orchids let me know. I am sure I can find something out in the GH for trade. The easiest ones I would say to start with would be a Phalinopsis, dendrobium, or an oncidium. Cattleyas are easy too, but people generaly don;t give them enough light, and some of them can be stuborn to bloom.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got my start in orchids by buying discounted post-bloom hybrids (mostly unnamed) at chain nurseries and groceries. The closest Home Depot doesn't cut the price enough and the closest Lowes, which has great discounts, wasn't open yet. I'm pretty sure I never paid more than $5 for any of those plants, other than for a multigrowth named Paph that I think cost me closer to $10.

After a year of growing unidentified Dends, Oncs and Phals, I placed my first orders with orchid nurseries. In addition to getting ~3 plants, I got a flask of Tolumnias. A lot of GardenWeb traders were interested in those when I started trading and, from that time on, I fed my orchid and Bromeliad (and started my CP) habit by buying and growing out orchid flasks to get plants for trading. It's a great "sweat equity" way of expanding an orchid collection, typically costing $30+/- per flask. Trading orchids is like trading CPs, the more exotic the plants you have, the more exotic you can typically trade for. So avoid the flasks of Colmanara Wildcat and focus on obscure, but attractive species.

I still occasionally pick up a discounted post-bloom Phal, but only if it has a name tag. I grow them out and trade them, typically on GW's general plant exchange for non-orchids.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all for the info. So which type is the easiest for beginners and does the sticky thread in this forum cover the up-to-date culture on them? Thanks.
    James 1:17

"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]and does the sticky thread in this forum cover the up-to-date culture on them?
    yep
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]The easiest ones I would say to start with would be a Phalinopsis, dendrobium, or an oncidium. Cattleyas are easy too, but people generaly don;t give them enough light, and some of them can be stuborn to bloom.
    does that answer your question?
    Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The ones at Lowes and big grocery stores are all considered "easy", yet I've never done well with those Dendrobiums and Oncidium intergenerics. But I grow their Phals almost as easily as my yard grows dandelions. Others have the opposite experience. So my advice is to keep an eye out for deep discounts on plants and choose what you like best.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast