Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is tap water ok for orchids?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CopcarFC your water has about 119 ppm. im surprised your other plants dont like it.
    Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where did you find this out at? Could I use the tap for my neps?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (glider14 @ Sep. 30 2006,2:33)]CopcarFC your water has about 119 ppm. im surprised your other plants dont like it.
    Alex
    Yeah me too. I've tried a few different times to use tap on sundews and VFT's and they all died or got really close. It seems that I can use tap for short periods of time but not long term.
    My life sucks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yea...when in dobt of your plants drying out completly use tap.
    Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It all depends on the species of orchids your trying to grow. Many of the common hybrid do fine with tap water as long as you do regular leeching of the pot or flush water like I do. Some species like Masdivalia's, Dracula's, and Phrag's to name a few do better with out the deposits. So a little more info is needed instead of just Orchids. You guys must not realize that the genus orchid is the largest group of flowering plants in the WORLD. Having more then 25,000 different species occurring all over the world all the way into the Arctic circle. Not to mention the infinate number of hybrids that have been created. So a broad statement like "can orchids take tap water" would be like asking if every human was allergic to peanuts or something like that. A little more specifics are in order. Like what the basic genera of the plants at least. There is not a blanket answer that covers all when it comes to Orchids.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just about any orchid will be fine with water in the 130 - 150 ppm range. Disa orchids probably won't, but not many people are growing them. By the way, they'd be great companions for Sarrs. Cyp. acaules might not be happy either, but they wouln't be much happier with straight RO water either.

The key is that the harder the water you use the more conscientious you have to be about not letting plants get too dry, about watering copiously each time, and about adding fertizing dilutely.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought Disa were primarily (if not totally) cool growing.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Disa are cool growing. I have seen a guy growing them in Ky. I think it was KY. He uses a chest freezer to cool water that circulates up into the top that acts as the lid for the chest freezer and keeps the roots cool. He grows some fabulous Disa too.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast