Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey

OK guys i need help, My moms been wanting a nice orchid, thats not a Phal but easy to care for. Any suggestions? An Orchid that likes conditions similar to a Phal would be ideal. And a source would be nice too! I will do some digging of my own as well!

Thanks!

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Paphiopedilium that I'm quite fond of. I just leave it on a cool windowsill like a Phal and it does fine. Haven't found the trick to making it flower yet.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don;t have the nack for paphs or phrags yet myself either. I think I am giving them to much light so I am backing them off a little under my benches.

Odontoglossm wildcat would be a good one. It used to be called colminara so you might still find it listed as that. There are different cultivars of it. I have a few different ones. They are like Sherry baby easy to find. Oncid Sherry baby is another nice one and smells of chocolate. The colm, and oncid sherry baby will take a little more light than a phal though. Gongora's are nice too. Fairly easy to find. Lower to high light. I successfuly flowered one in a north facing window with the blinds closed most of the time. The only thing is the flowers are pendulous. You have to hang it so the flower spikes drap over the sides. My speciman plant routinely produces many spikes, and it is filling an 8 inch basket. Somepeople find the smell of a gongora unpleasent though. I personaly like the smell of my tricolor.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok this might help some, any that aren't more expensive than 50 bucks?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only thing about getting orchids for less than 50 is that they are a few years from flowering. If you look at Carter and Holmes website you should be able to find some that are less than 50 bucks for blooming sized plants. Keep in mind though they do sell plants for 10 bucks each, but they are seedlings and 2 to 4 years from blooming most of the time. I have bought a first time blooming phal for 25 and my wildcat that was blooming for 25. The thing you want to do is stay away from the chain stores when buying orchids. You want to buy from an orchid nursery. Then you have to be selective too. Some places want to charge alot and then others not so much. Sugar baby is a weed and even thoguh I don't have one yet it seems to be pretty easy to get and IMO should not cost 50 bucks, but places sell them for that all the time.
    JB

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with JB_OrchidGuy about Odontoglossum wildcat, aka Colomnaria wildcat. There are a lot of wildcat varieties with a wide range of color combinations. There's a bunch of information for those who want to learn about orchids at http://orchidlady.com/.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes sir there are alot of cultivars. I think I have 3 different ones. LOL But only one is blooming. The others I got from my OS raffle and were in pretty bad shape. I dunno how many are living in the GH.

I also think Cattleyas can be easy, but they take a heck of alot more light than a phal does. Many dendrobiums bloom easy for me, but they also require more light.
    JB

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uhhg to much work... lol ill keep my eye out for the ones you recomended, thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast