What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

yay! first orchid bloom!

glider14

Always a newbie
well... by myself anyways :) i hear it stinks. but i dont notice a smell on mine. yet anyways.
Encyclia cochleata
IMG_0950.jpg

IMG_0951.jpg

IMG_0952.jpg

Alex

Very nice - that's one of the best species. It and other Encyclias can be pretty fragrant, but it varies greatly from plant to plant and also based on growing conditions. People tend to be divided about whether they smell good or not. I like them, but sometimes they get overpowering when close. Up close, the big Enc. radiata I used to have could knock someone over with its licorice fragrance. But it smelled great from a few feet away. By the way, they aren't Enc. cochleata anymore; they've reverted to Anacheilium cochleatum: http://www.orchidspecies.com/anacochleata.htm

ohh. that must have been recent then! this one came from Oak Hill Gardens.
Alex

Whoa that thing looks sweet! It's like an octopus or something. Kinda like a jack-in-the-pulpit, too. Nice job!

-Ben

Very cool! What are the growing conditions that you are giving it?

Great job. How excited you must be about your baby!

xvart.

Very cool! What are the growing conditions that you are giving it?

not sure exactly. its usually 60* night with 75-80* day. ~70% humidity and 2 26 watt CFL's (200 watt output combined). its growing fine and in the same terrarium with the 2 helis you sent me, H. minor x heterodoxa and heterodoxa x ionasii. they both are growing great BTW :-D

Alex

That looks awsome, good job too.

Thanks for growing conditions info and I'm glad the helis are doing well for you.

Oak Hill is slow to update names even on changes everyone else accepts. But hardly anyone calls that anything but Encyclia cochleata. I think it was still Epidendrum cochleatum when I first started paying attention to orchids ten years ago or so. Some people, like me, pay too much attention to names.

Back