Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how do i grow orchid seeds?

i think i planted them a little too close together... ne3p's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just as an update: i was given a method involving banana, and it seems to have worked. i now have a number of very tiny plants growing in a jam jar. i will take a photo when they become big enough for my rather old camera (and when it is definite that they aren't anything like mould).

the point at which you realise your friends are also nerds: you ask for a quadrant in the fourth dimension, and they say 10:00

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's the method? That seems awful fast, but I've never germinated orchid seeds.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

i think i planted them a little too close together... ne3p's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    here's the method:
    there ia an old way you may try as an experiment that is using 1/2 a banana mashed in a sterile bowl heated & put in a sterile jar put a nail hole in the lid & fill that with the cotton from a cotton bud wet with a fungicide . when the banana cools sprinkle seeds on top ,replace lid & PRAY. keep in a warm medium light level area & wait .orchid seed is not viable for long as it it is very fine & carries no food source
    sadly i think they're all dead (by i think, i mean i wasn't completely sure what they were anyway), the banana has gone cloudy and formed a skin, a bit like the agar jelly at school when it goes bad.

the point at which you realise your friends are also nerds: you ask for a quadrant in the fourth dimension, and they say 10:00

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12