Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how do i grow orchid seeds?

i think i planted them a little too close together... ne3p's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how do i grow orchid seeds?

when one of my orchids flowered last year, i was bored and so decided to pollinate it. this has resulted in a large amount of rather dust like seed. i have had no previous experience growing orchids (other than putting them on a windowsill and watering them), and so i was wondering how to grow the seeds.

i believe the plant to be Paphiopedilum maudiae hybrid, and the pollen i used was taken from a Doritaenopsis of some kind (is it possible to cross these? i may have accidentally pollinated it using its own pollen).

the point at which you realise your friends are also nerds: you ask for a quadrant in the fourth dimension, and they say 10:00

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's gonna be hard. Paphs. ususally take to being germinated invitro for about a year. (Tissue Culture) Coincidentally this is exactly what I'm trying to do as an additional hobby/business. PM'ed you some further details.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and The American G. I. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.
    Romans 10: 9-13
    Growlist http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index...04&#entry90304

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'd need certain symbiotic fungi for each species and use TC as Chris said. I'm no orchid person but I don't think paphs can make intergeneric hybrids.

There is some flasking company I remember and they do this for people... hell if I remember it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup, that's gonna be ME JLAP. A new flasking service in process. There are no others, repeat after me, there are no others
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and The American G. I. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.
    Romans 10: 9-13
    Growlist http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index...04&#entry90304

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i've been given a number of things to try by some other people. most of them appear to be completely insane. should be fun trying though.

the point at which you realise your friends are also nerds: you ask for a quadrant in the fourth dimension, and they say 10:00

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found the place I was thinking of.

http://www.troymeyers.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A Paph can't cross with a Dtps. The first thing someone like Troy Meyers does is to mount a slide and check the seed for viable embryos. That seed won't have any. If you want to experiment with flasking, start with something that might succeed.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    probably very sound advice. it was a nice thought anyway. i'm currently considering sending some to someone else that i know vaguely who actually grows orchid seeds, incase i self pollinated the plant.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast