Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mushy leaf

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mushy leaf

I actually got a couple weeks ago. It is just a simple Phal hybrid that I picked up off a sales rack. I have it by a window and my grow rack for my CPs so it gets plenty of filtered light and about 14 hours of light. I'm not sure what the humidity is in my room, but I think in November it was around 45%.

When I got home from work today I went to check on my plants and I noticed one of the Phal leaves was drooping seriously. I went to touch it and the outside half of the leave was very soggy and mushy (except around the tip). All the other leaves (4 large and a small or two) all appeared fine.

What could be the cause of this? Is it a disease or did I overwater it? I watered it about six days ago and that is the only time I have watered it since I got it. The potting mix was dry when I got it, but not bone dry.

Thanks for your help.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just an update: I felt the leaf again and it was filled with water. I poked a hole in it and watched a ton of waterish liquid drain out. I ended up cutting the leaf off about two thirds down and then wiped the cut surface with fungicide. I hope I did the right thing.

xvart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not orchid expert, but you probably did. The cause of that was probably some sort of rot. Ive had roots on orchids partially rot before and they exhibit the same suite of characteristics that leaf did. All bets are on it being overwatered. I water mine about once every 5 days, sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less.

I think its hilarious you poked a hole int eh leaf though haha.

You said it was dry when you got it, but that leaf could be a result of previous bad care from months ago
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phissionkorps View Post
    I think its hilarious you poked a hole int eh leaf though haha.
    Yeah, it reminded me of when I get blisters on my hand from yardwork and then poke a hole in those to let it drain out.

I took it out and looked at the roots and they look fine to me. I think it will come through since all the other leaves look really good. It is putting off new growth in the form of a new leaf, so it can't be doing too bad. Thanks for the response.

xvart.

edit: I wouldn't have cut the whole leaf off, but when I poked the hole it tore some of the leaf skin off so I didn't want to get some massive infection in the raw area.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like to let Phals go bone dry before watering. Right now I'm hiding one in my closet for mother's day. I should probably water it.

I have flowers in my closet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is that some kind of manifesto?
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL what?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Phals do not need to go bone dry Clint. Thick root orchids can take being a little wetter than thin roont ones. Phals drop flowers really quick if you let them go bone dry. I try to water my phals alot in the house because they dry out so quickly.

Xvart it does sound like you had a case of blackrot ot something. Happenes sometimes. I have had it on a few leaves before. Not sure what causes it. I haven;t had to deal with it in a while though. You can water the plant with hydrogen peroxide to help disinfect it. It is not going to hurt the plant. Cutting the leaf off is good too. Just watch it and make sure it doesnl;t get to the crown. Pictures do help to if you can.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast