Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First orchid and mealy bug

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put a a little pad of LFS over the roots (not between the roots and the mount) when I make a new mount. I wire the pad down, which holds the plant in place and, when a plant is well-rooted, I removed the wire and the no longer need LFS comes right off. I've received mounts in trades that had a lot of sphagnum, but I don't water frequently enough or have have enough humidity for that. I like to put Spanish moss on mounts (and in baskets & pots) because it seems to help plants deal with lower humidity. Probably by reducing airflow and creating a slightly more humid microclimate around the roots and any new growths. One other thing to mention is that I've had much more trouble with wood mounts than with cork mounts. I think the wood wicks moisture away from the roots, competeing with the plant for water. Also, because it's slowly decaying, roots seem to have more trouble gripping wood. So I think cork is much better.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. I might experiment with mine soon. Right now I'm still searching for a spot that isn't too bright for it.
    "The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance, the wise grows it under his feet."

my growlist

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are still having a problem with mealy bugs. Get some Bear Advenced from lowes. Rose and flower spray. Do not get the one with fertilizer just the bug spray. It contains merrit and is a systemic spray that works good on mealys and scale. It is also good for wasps. I hit a wasp with a spray and it is on the ground convulsing and dyeing quickly. It is the same stuff that is in frontline for dogs so it is safe to use indoors.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_OrchidGuy View Post
    If you are still having a problem with mealy bugs. Get some Bear Advenced from lowes. Rose and flower spray. Do not get the one with fertilizer just the bug spray. It contains merrit and is a systemic spray that works good on mealys and scale. It is also good for wasps. I hit a wasp with a spray and it is on the ground convulsing and dyeing quickly. It is the same stuff that is in frontline for dogs so it is safe to use indoors.
    Ooo...thanks for the info. I hate wasps. I haven't seen any more mealy bugs on it, so I think it was probably just that one. I'm still watching for em though. I might pick up some of that spray just in case, it sounds like good stuff to have around.
    "The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance, the wise grows it under his feet."

my growlist

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12