Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First orchid and mealy bug

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First orchid and mealy bug

I got my very first orchid today. It's a Haraella retrocalla. It's very tiny and cute. It even had a little flower on it. Does anyone have any tips for caring for orchids?

Also, I noticed that it had a mealy bug on it when I was unpacking it. I killed the mealy bug, but I know I need to do something about that white fuzzy stuff in case there are eggs. What should I do about it? Can I just wipe the fuzz with a q-tip dipped in rubbing alcohol? Could I just try to clean it off, or do I really need to go get and insecticide?

My very first orchid seemed to have brought my very first mealy bug along as a gift.
    "The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance, the wise grows it under his feet."

my growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Orchids are a diverse group and that's an unusual one for someone to start with. I don't know it, so can't offer any advice other than this: http://www.orchidspecies.com/haerodorata.htm
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alcohol's a good start. Now, about the plant At least there're no othes plants to worry about. I'd think about unpotting to check for more bugs around the roots. Mealys like to hide out in crevaces, around roots, etc. With plants from greenhouses/nurseries, you usually only run into one or two beasties who slipped under the radar when the plant was selected for shipping/purchase. I wouldn't expect to find many more, but it's always good to squash one before you've got one hundred. Best of luck...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by herenorthere View Post
    Orchids are a diverse group and that's an unusual one for someone to start with. I don't know it, so can't offer any advice other than this: http://www.orchidspecies.com/haerodorata.htm
    Somehow that doesn't surprise me. I typically go about things in a strange manner. I guess I like to have unique and unusual plants.

Quote Originally Posted by jrod View Post
    Alcohol's a good start. Now, about the plant At least there're no othes plants to worry about. I'd think about unpotting to check for more bugs around the roots. Mealys like to hide out in crevaces, around roots, etc. With plants from greenhouses/nurseries, you usually only run into one or two beasties who slipped under the radar when the plant was selected for shipping/purchase. I wouldn't expect to find many more, but it's always good to squash one before you've got one hundred. Best of luck...
    Thank you for the advice. I used alcohol for the infected area, and I've done a lot of looking around the plant, and can't find anything obvious. It's a tiny plant..potted in a 2 inch pot...so there aren't too many places for a mealy bug to hide on the plant, but I hadn't thought about it hiding around the roots inside the soil. I can't unpot it at the moment because I don't have the appropriate soil mixes lying around. Well...actually I do have LFS. Could I plant it in just LFS? This plant did come from an orchid nursery, so I doubt it will have too many pests on it, but I would like to know for sure.
    "The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance, the wise grows it under his feet."

my growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not a fan of LFS for orchids because of the need to tightly control watering. That one might be especially risky because the orchidspecies site metions it prefers being mounted. That's usually a sign that the roots like to dry out quickly. I wouldn't recommend trying that for your first orchid unless you can provide plenty of humidity year-round. Instead, you might try a small terra cotta pot (2" or less) with bark mix.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't recommend trying that for your first orchid unless you can provide plenty of humidity year-round.
    When you say "that", you're talking about mounting it, correct?

Thanks for the advice.

Another question:
    What's a good orchid fertilizer? Sorry, I'm pretty ignorant of fertilizers.

my growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right; don't mount it unless you live in a place with year-round humidity. Such as Louisiana, now that I've finally noticed where you're from. As I remember it from my years in Mississippi, Shreveport is more East Texas than Louisiana, but you probably have more than enough humidity to try a mount.
    Bruce in CT

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right; don't mount it unless you live in a place with year-round humidity. Such as Louisiana, now that I've finally noticed where you're from. As I remember it from my years in Mississippi, Shreveport is more East Texas than Louisiana, but you probably have more than enough humidity to try a mount.
    I do have a lot of humidiy, but this plant is going to be inside. It's my understanding that modern a/c and heaters remove a lot of humidity from the air. It's currently in a shady spot by my leaky kitchen sink, so the local humidity is probably pretty high, but I am just assuming. Shreveport is more like East Texas, but I lived in Dallas for a while, and our humidity is noticably higher than theirs.

I read somewhere that if you are mounting it, you can put LFS around the roots to keep humidity up. Is that true? I would imagine LFS on a mount would dry out a lot quicker than in a pot, so it would be harder to over water it.

my growlist

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast