What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Orchid seeds

Peanut

I like this
Hi im pretty new to orchids. I have a Phalaenopsis growing very well on a drawer
near a window sill.

My grandma gave me orchid seeds(very nice lady :blush: ) I didn't have time to ask her
what kind of seed it was because I was in a big rush.
Its black/redish and about the size of a mung bean.

I want to know how to plant this orchid seed and if anyone knows what it is
please, do tell. I'll be posting up a pic soon tommarow because its dark right now.

Thanks

She didn't give you an orchid seed. Orchid seed is practically a powder and must be TC'd because they have symbiotic relationships with mychorrhizae.

:(

well it grew a bit...ok its not an orchids...looks..... wierd..

My guess is it's some kind of impatiens. Some are called orchids (not by orchid growers), which is sort of understandable, since some have very complex, attractive flowers that are the match of most orchids. But they can grow like weeds and some are, so the flower snobs tend to be down on them.

A friend gave like 2 pods or what ever and the seeds look like pollen and the only way to culture them is by TC, does any of you guys have a home made mix or something to grow them, i thought it was pollen to pollinate a female orchid

That's what orchid seed looks like. Do you know what kind of orchid it's from? Growing (most) orchids from seed is tricky and is generally done in sterile flasks on special media, similar to how microbiologists culture their little friends.

Hi Herenorthere !
I don't know the orchids info or name, but i will do this for you , i'll give him my camera tomarrow so he can take a pic and i'll post it here if it's ok with Peanut. i'll post it in two days . I know a little of mycology but the room that was setup is a fish room right now and my homemade glove box was a 20 gallon aquarium was on it's side with a wood cover and two holes for my hands with gloves and a Aspen negative ion generator to prepare agar pretidish cultures with spores or mycelanium syringes of mushrooms ,edible , medicinal and cubensis for fun. Check mycotopia and look at my gallery , sadsoul. Whats hard to find is agar here in P.R , checked in supermarkets , health stores or natural stores ect...........I still have some cultures , i grew shrooms on hay , not straw , we don't grow that here, and i grew cubensis in cooffe grinds too , love that hobby too...........///////////

Sincerely ....................////////////////

Back