What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Orchid Soil

I've had a moon orchid I bought at the grocery store 6 months ago. The only substrate it has is this light brown moss stuff that is more like soft fluffy stems rather than something resembling dirt. Anyways, I was wondering if I could ditch this seemingly useless substrate and switch it out for some of the new miracle grow dirt I bought to sprout my indoor seeds this year?

Do you mean something like this? If so, it's a Phalaenopsis and doesn't want to live in anything remotely like soil. Orchids travel to the beat of a different drum. Buy a bag of orchid bark and repot the thing. They're often sold in mossy stuff, usually after the moss is breaking down and the roots like to have better airflow, since Phals, like many orchids, are epiphytes. I'm busy with some work tonight, so can't get into the details right now, but google phalaenopsis care and that'll get you started.

ohalaamabalis.jpg

Like Bruce has said. Orchids are epiphytes. meaning they grow on trees. Therefor pots are just for our comfort not that of the plant. If you plant an orchid in dirt you can kiss it goodbye. The LFS moss is not a useless substrate. It is a very good one if you are planning on growing the plant indoors. Since orchids grow on trees their roots go through constant wet dry cycles. They get wet with dew and then dry by nightfall. Soil would hold too much moisture and you would rot the roots. LFS moss retains moisture while allowing airflow to the roots. You could do like Bruce suggests and get get some orchid bark, but with an indoor environment you would be watering very often, but you would have a healthier plant.

I suggest going to Lowes and buy the book called All About orchids by Ortho. It is a great book for beginers and will teach you the basics of orchid care.

Back