What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I found a lady slipper in my yard!

In my yard the other day, I found a flowering Cyprepedium acuale. I have a fairly small, non-wooded yard, so the appearance of this cyprepedium was really surprising. My dad told me he planted some cyprepediums about 10 or so years ago, but that they died immediately after they were planted. How did I not notice this was in my yard for this long!
I have heard this is a tricky species to grow. It is growing in a really dry, acidic part of my yard with compacted clay soil. Nothing else will grow there!

cool :0 Pics?

??? lady slippers are fairly common where i live

??? lady slippers are fairly common where i live

Where do you live? From what I know Lady Slippers are rare and protected(at least in MN). When I lived in Minnesota I tried to find some in the wild and take pictures... Never did find any though.:-(

btw What color are the flowers? and :pics:

i cant remember the exact name of the really endangerd one. but its common name is Fairy slipper(not lady) orchid. C. aculae is yellow with brownish petals

Alex

yea there protected, i live in RI

they have a pink bell flower things

ill try and get some pics when they bloom

they only bloom for about a week or 2 and then die

ive seen them earlier this seasons on hikes but there still green and growing and such, they bloom in the summer

im thinking this year ill collect the dead remains of the flower(the part thats fallen off so i dont hurt the plant) and add it to my collection

very beautiful plant

C. acaule is pink.

Calypso is the fairy slipper.

And actually the only thing I think you can't do in MN with the slippers is sell them. There are few states where they are protected. I found it online. Now you cannot take them from government land, but digging them up is not illegal. Except certain states.

MN is funny because there is one species that is endangered and it is not acule and even the lab propagated plants you cannot sell.

thats it! Calypso bulbosa!

Funny thing is I think I have access to getting some calypso's, but I am afraid to get them until I move. He he he Maybe I can experiment and flask them up.

That is awesome! They are my favorite flower. I saw one once in the woods behind my parent's home when I was a little kid (didn't know what it was) but I was entranced. Sadly, in my ignorance, I dug it up and moved it closer to the house. Of course it died. Never saw another one there again .... UNTIL...about a year and a half ago, I found another one. This one was growing near their house and near the road. I would never have thought one would grow there (not in deep woods and not the best of conditions) and I can't imagine how it got there. It has not bloomed so far but then again, it may be a young plant.

Back