Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Orchid Rescue, Help?

sea bear returns! theyellowdart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hijack, but is that commonly sold "phalaenopsis mix" with orchid bark, perlite, etc (saw it at Lowes) suitable?
    I need to repot asap, (I've got fungus gnats from such old LFS media) but my plant has buds and I don't want to stop it from flowering. Will repotting kill the buds?
    I'd rather wait for it to flower if it will affect it in any way.
    Thanks
    growlist

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is a good mix for a healthy plant. the damp LFS and ziplock is like a plant hospital until it gets started growing again and gets over its stress.

You could repot your Phal right now Dart but you could loose your buds. I would wait till its done. Since your going to keep it in the house it should dry out fast. At least mine do. I can water every 2 days if not more. Now remember you don;t want to keep it too wet or too dry. too dry will not hurt the plant but it will shorten the flower lives. Fungus gnats will not hurt the plant for the time being. Just wATER IT ABOUT EVERY 2 DAYS IF THE PLANT IS DRY AND repot when it has finished blooming. Unless of course you have rotten roots and the plant is looking in dismay.

I have repotted and not lost a flower but I have also repoted and lost the spikes. So it i a gamble.

Next time start your own thread instead of hijacking.

Just one more thing. I just buy the special orchid mix for my orchids. The Phal mix has peat in it and I don't like using that for my orchids.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    great, luckily I have alot of dried lfs just sitting here from cp plants, so that will be an easy task, alright well I will definitely repot asap.
    as far as the spike goes... this plant already has a bloomed spike that has been cut off partway, but the at the end of one of the spike ends there is about an inch of growth coming from one of the nodes... are you saying that I should remove this?

sea bear returns! theyellowdart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your help!
    I won't hijack next time. lol
    growlist

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes cut it off if the plant is bad off and you REALLY want to save it do not let it flower again. If you don't care then let it go, but it spend energy flowering instead of regrowing.

Again a picture would be great when ever asking a question as well.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cmm889, sometimes orchids will bloom as a last desperate attempt to polinate before they expire. This could be what your plant is doing and if it were my plant I would remove all spikes!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12