User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lessening the shock of a new home?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lessening the shock of a new home?

Ive got three orchids here at work that live in a west window, one is a Phalenopsis..one said it was when I bought it but Im not so sure--its got tiny yellow and white freckled flowers and long leaves that come from the base...and the other one is like a larger version with long leaves that are around 2 ft long similar to the unknown.

I am having to move them home and do not have a west window to place them in...is there a way I can decrease their shock of traveling to a new home with a new sun schedule?

Would they do alright outside on my balcony?...its warm (well HOT right now) but there is good amounts of shade, just not much humidity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi. I'll do my best with this. Phalaenopsis do not want any direct sun except perhaps a little morning sun. They are humidity lovers. You could perhaps place this plant back from the west window and on a pebble tray to help with the humidity. It is also best not to run the air conditioner because this can dry out the air. Usually Phalaenopsis do well in bathrooms, where it is naturally more humid. I don't know what kind the other two plants you have are but it sounds like something in the Oncidium alliance. These plants enjoy brighter light and may do well on the porch. Could you post a picture so that we can correctly identify the plants? Hope to talk to you soon.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pictures would be great. Nancy is correct that the house would dry them out and need to be watered every day or every other day in the house. Oncidiums can take a lot more light than Phals can. Phals are shade lovers and need a temp drop to bloom. Nancy has given you good info, but then again pictures would help greatly.

All about orchids by Ortho is a great book. Lowe's has it.

Orchids are pretty tough plants and I have not had to do much different to the plants when changing their environment. I have more problems with Nepenthes than my orchids.

BTW the balcony would be good depending on the light it gets. The temp is not that big of an issue I don't think. My phals did not flinch when the GH temps got to 105. they just need to be watered more. Of course it was only for a few days, but they are still doing fine where some of my nepenthes started screaming!! LOL They really are resilient plants.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's hard to say what'll work for you, since you're 5,000 ft higher and in a much drier region. Phals do well for me, but I believe they just survive during the winter months in my house, when they get much lower light and humidity than they have outside now. They get a real gleam in their eyes when I put them out for the summer and I leave them out as long as I can in the fall because they get depressed in my house. Hmmm ... so do people; I wonder if there's a connection.

Anyway, I wouldn't worry about bringing them home to less light; I've never had a plant get shocked by that, unlike the opposite. Try putting them out on the balcony in the evening and bring them in the following morning. Keep doing that for a week or two and, if they don't seem bothered, put them out a little earlier and let them stay out a little later. See how far you can push it, but be careful because Phals live in a much slower time dimension and are very slow to show if they're happy or if they're sad. By the time a Phal shows it's unhappy, it's often terminal, so don't try to push them too far too fast.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my ex who I'm now working on just being friend has a phal that I bought for her on her birthday in december... it was blooming at that time and has since consecutively put out around 13 buds, however just in the last 2 weeks or so the last small bud just didnt develop and when the flowers dropped that last bud never developed and just recently browned and came off, meanwhile the spike and leaves are still green and happy or so it would appear...

I know their not constant bloomers and orchids is no where near my emphasis in plants so I'm really clueless other than very basic knowledge so that I could help her maintain it...

is this becuase its just done blooming? or do I have something I need to work on? the more I think about it the more I see that it kind of came along with the temps rising out here... granted.. it lived thru the ac being on for a pretty good while before any signs... but Herenorthere's thought on how slow they are to act... do you think its an AC problem the lack of humidity?

sorry thats alot of questions and its not my thread. no mean to hijack! sorry... this part of the forum doesn't get as much attention and thought I'd hop on for a second while the "gettins' good"... hope I didnt step on your feet NarNar.

any tips would be greatly appreciated from you orchid growers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lot Phals bloom winter-spring and drop their blooms by mid summer. That's when they get down to the business of growing and you'll tend to see a new burst of root growth. Making it the ideal time to repot them. Speaking of which, that's something else I should do this weekend. It sounds like the plant is doing fine and I'd recommend repotting it. It probably can go right back into the same pot, but get a bag of orchid bark mix and a few packing peanuts (not the biodegradable kind). A layer of the peanuts goes on the bottom and the bark mix goes on top. Trim off any dead roots.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No worries cmm889! Ive had mine for a while but never had anywhere to ask questions...so the more questions and answers there are the better it is!!

Nancy, I think your right with the one...here is a pic of what it looks like (I found it online..this isnt my plant)
    http://herba.msu.ru/shipunov/e-album...idium-k111.jpg

The other one is like this but yellow (not that its color matters lol) http://hankinslawrenceimages.files.w...2/orchid_6.jpg

I was pretty excited this last winter, my Phal FINALLY bloomed...Ive had it for 6 years and it just bloomed and dropped its last flower maybe three weeks ago.

Ill have to repot them...the one of mine that resembles the last pic there is in need of a new pot.

The last one there of mine also looks like half of the "clump" is dead...is there anyway I could split the live part from the dead part?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I need pictures and need to know the type of orchid it is. I would love to help more but need just a tad info on the one you want to split. You probably can but I need to know a little more about it.

The first picture is an oncidium.

The second is a cymbidium. They need to drop into the 40's to rebloom and can take a much denser mix than most orchids. They plant them in the ground in Cali.

As I said get the book "All about orchids" By ortho. It is a great primer and we can answer others too. I love answering questions, but need a little more info about it.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast