What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

didnt realize orchids were such a pain to photograph....

some paph hybrid i picked up about this time last year when i was in Florida for $20.....was blooming when i bought it, this is the first bloom since then

hmmmmmm nope dont look like this in person....
IMG_1960.jpg

not quite.....
IMG_1974.jpg

closer........
IMG_1976.jpg

this one is pretty close..........
IMG_1973.jpg

even though this looks way dark....its actually pretty close.....
IMG_1962.jpg

Wow nice looking maudie. Good solid coloration and downsept petals. Does it have fairrianum in the hybrid? Does it have a name?

went looking for a tag......either never had one or i lost it......seeming to remember it didnt have a tag when i bought it(i liked the flower which is why i picked it up) .....but that was about a year ago so im not positive......

went looking for a tag......either never had one or i lost it......seeming to remember it didnt have a tag when i bought it(i liked the flower which is why i picked it up) .....but that was about a year ago so im not positive......

Beautiful shots! I have friends and an ex who are fanatical about orchids and cannot quite see it through why I am so fond of plants filled with the "husks" of insects. Go figure . . .

i love orchids but aint fanatical about them......if i see one that i like....tag or not ill buy it.....i just buy the ones with flowers or growth habits i like......i bought this one cause ive never tried to grow a paph and i liked the purplish maroon flower.........

Stunning shots! Got to go with the last one ;)

The glossy ones need diffuse lighting to get a good exposure without washing out the highlights. Growing them can be easier than getting a photo that looks right.

yeah i know what the problem is.......just aint sure how to fix it with the equipment i have......if the wife doesnt have to much for me to do this weekend i may play around with the camera some more.......

Lovely plant.

Try using a black backdrop with a light and no flash. Natural light is best if you can but sometimes not possible. Lovely plant.

Try bouncing the flash off a white sheet while opening the lens a couple extra stops. I also like photographing them outdoors in the early morning/late afternoon, when the light color isn't crazy and the sun isn't too intense. It's a nice light and you can play with the lighting angle and shadows. It looks good against a background of leaves or whatever, just far enough back to be a bit out of focus.

yeah thought about the outdoors thing but the wind is blowing......hoping it dies down this early evening........

you miss the point.........aint looking to tweak a picture till it shows the right color......looking to take a picture and having it come out right........if i really want to tweak stuff im using Photoshop CS2 on my laptop

Back