What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reblooming a Phalaenopsis

carnivoure12

Hear the Call of Nepenthes
Hey everyone,

This is my first post here. I've had a phalaenopsis for almost a year, it had bloomed in january, and when it stopped it produced a beautiful new leaf. How can i rebloom it? i read about cutting the node, but it was too late, any help?

-carnivoure12

Welcome.

Cool weather (getting into the low 50s) generally triggers Phals to grow a new spike. My plants spend the summer outside and they get the necessary chilling before I bring them back in. Maybe yours needs to rebuild its reserves. Where/how do you grow it and have you repotted it?

Its on my windowsill the window supplies it with cool air, its vibrant green, I haven't repotted it yet, water it once every 7 days, with the dip method.

Here's a not-as-random-as-it-appears mix of comments/questions: If you don't see a spike yet, you might not get a rebloom this year. People should repot a new orchid as soon as it finishes blooming because most big growers time their re-potting schedules so that the mix lasts just long enough for a bloom cycle to begin.

It's good that you're only watering once a week because more orchids are victimized by over-watering than by underwatering. You might want to push a pencil into the potting mix right before watering again to see how dry it is. Especially this time of year. Phals don't get the same kind of dry ret period as many other orchids, but they need less water in winter.

What kind of pot is it in? Some places sell them in a clay pot, but the plant is actually in a plastic pot inside the clay. Also what is the potting mix? Some hold much more moisture and all do as they break down. Being too dry is better than staying soggy for extended periods of time. You should repot it as soon as you see any sign of new root growth in the spring, unless it has started a flower spike. In that case, be careful about how often you water it and repot after the bloom is finished.

How much sun does the plant get in that window? If it's "vibrant" green, I think it isn't getting enough sun because Phals generally are a paler shade of green. I wouldn't make any changes now, because it sounds healthy, but you might want to put it in a brighter place, if possible, in the spring.

Have you been fertilizing it and, if so, how often and with what. If you have been, stop for the winter. Which reminds me, are you in the northern hemisphere, so that winter is approaching instead of summer?

I live in Canada, its and plastic pot, with what it seems to be bark, the color is a bit darker than this forums' green theme. I fertilize it every 2 weeks, speaking of fertilizing this week is fertilization week.

OK. If it's darker green than what I see on the screen, it almost certainly wasn't getting enough light. But it also means the plant is otherwise pretty happy, so you're doing a good job of growing it. However, don't fertilize it again until spring. Most orchids don't need much fertilizer and few want any this time of year.

Assuming it isn't going to start a flower spike, plan to repot it in spring. I prefer unglazed clay pots because they're more forgiving of excess watering, which happens when I put my plants outside in summer. But some people prefer plastic and everyone figures out what works best for them.

Back