What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lepanthes telipogoniflora source?

• Thread starter Av8tor1
  • Start date
I know this has been asked before, but looking for a domestic (CONUS) source for this little jewel,

Would like to locate two plants please

TIA,
Av

According to a post in Gardenweb's orchid forum, someone got one at Andy's:

http://www.andysorchids.com/

The website lists a number of other Lepanthes species right now, but not that one. Contact them and ask if they have some lurking in the greenhouse or if they will soon. Good luck in your quest. I love little oddball Pleurothallids, but had only limited success with that family of orchids.

appreciate the heads up HNT, thanks mate

Its late in the season for ordering I guess, but ive emailed them...
Butch

andy's was a dry run....

still looking
Av

This quest is over... received from an ecuadorian source about 6 weeks ago. At first I didnt know if it was going to make it but she bloomed only a couple weeks after arrival.

lepanthes.jpg

Av

Very pretty!
Is this in the Pleurothallid alliance? The flower is quite different, not as insectoid looking as many of the others.

Congratulations. :D Pretty flower.

It pays to scroll ALL the way down, here I am looking for a pic on the next windows tab and can't find one. Oh well ... let's read the rest of the post and BAM ! An awesome pic. What a cool little plant.

Thanks for the kind words,
I saw Varun's L. telipogoniflora and wanted one...

Here are a couple awesome pics that can be found via goodle image seach
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v218/Nevermore44/Pleuro_Telipogon.jpg
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/21/37932883_b59fd3e154.jpg?v=0

Very pretty!
Is this in the Pleurothallid alliance? The flower is quite different, not as insectoid looking as many of the others.

Swords, My knowledge of orchids is little teo none, but as far as I know yes..... the "alliance" seems to include quite a few SA cloud forest species.

P.S.
A little birdie has told me that a well known and highly respected TF member may have some available later this year.
I'm hoping she does, till then I'm saving my pennies :drool:

Yes; it's in the Pleurothallid alliance. I didn't realize Lepanthes is such a big genus - it has more than 800 species. At least until the taxonomists attack and send species scurrying every which way. Do you have any other orchids?

Bruce, not really... just the occasional mercy purchase at Lowe's or Wally World. I just never really caught orchid fever. But these miniature Lepanthes have indeed captured my interest, I've purchased a very large glass container and clay cylinder with a Lepanthes nano-vivarium in mind.

Example

Av

Wow those tubes are awesome! Reminds me of the little jungles my uncle used to have growing in all sorts of jars when I was a kid. There are two wires going into each container, one I can see is a fan, is the other to a water pump that circulates the water in the bottom over the mossy "stumps"?

Pleurothallids are my favorite of any of the orchids, because they're so weird!

If you ever get spares.... :)

They're very cool (one of my fave families of orchid) but so many are truly minuscule. At the annual MN Orchid Society show in January each Pleurothallid growers booth has a selection of reading glasses, jewelers loupes and big magnifying glasses! :D

Hahaha... they're still bigger than most utrics!!!

Sadly, they're not very popular around here. I just love wierd flowers.

I wish I couldfind the terra cotta pipe used in makingthose vives. The guy that first didthem is on another site I go to and is from Sweden.

update:

May 2009:
lepanthes.jpg

Now
orchid.jpg

Seems rather easy so far and flowers non stop, a very enjoyable lil thang
:)

That's spectacular - what an oddball. I've been wanting to get into mini orchids for a while now, mostly because I don't have the space to add new sets of big plants to my collection, but I haven't seen a whole lot of them. I'm definitely interested in those nanoviv setups too - please share anything else interesting you come across.
~Joe

PS - Hahaha, I just realized... this is a genus of orchids that we talked about in biology back in high school after we watched, "The Secret Life of Plants." My teacher got too excited and made some hilarious obscene gestures to illustrate how some species imitate mating wasps/bees to attract pollinators. Nobody had a problem with it - it's still a story me and my friends tell and laugh about all the time - but I sure am glad that we didn't get a surprise visit from an administrator during that class. :D

Back