What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Branching a vanilla vine?

Howdy peeps!
I have this Vanilla planifolia, that i got this winter.
So I thought I'd ask if theres any way of increasing the number of growths? Right now there is one growth per cutting. can i get it to make more?

Thanks /Dan

cut off the growing tip.....

I've tried getting mine to branch and to be honest when I cut it all it does is send up another shoot from somewhere else on the vine. And in my case it was only one shoot. So... I've kind of just accepted that I think it is going to be a single stem 10ft tall monstrosity.

sometimes plants just dont cooperate with yah......

Keep trying. Also look for a product called keiki pro. Supposed to activate dormant nodes. Can drop it on the nodes I have one vine that has double leads but not from keiki pro. It did it on its own but if your is not cooperating then coul try that or one of the other hormone products.

I've been wondering about this myself.
It's not quite the same, but you could plant the cuttings. It wouldn't be branched, but you'd have multiple leaders, at least.
~Joe

seedjar is right
plant multiple cuttings in the same pot. I have varigated and regular Vanilla planifolia and they never form more then one growth point even when cut.

Do they at least produce multiple flowering brackets? Mine's a long way from flowering, I think, but I'm making plants to train it and I'm wondering what to expect.
~Joe

Back