What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dendrobium orchids?

Ngantnier

Formerly pond boy
I was at Lowes the other day and I noticed they had Dendrobiums for 50 cents! I had to pic one up. The pot was undrained so I drilled 5 holes in the bottom, it appears the plant is in mainly LFS with a bit of orchid bark. I'm wondering how much light do these need, and when do you water them?
22742_107012379315979_100000216534361_182363_2106709_n.jpg

---------- Post added at 11:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:05 AM ----------

BTW I'm not growing it there, that's just where I set it to take the picture. The plant's about a foot away from a south window right now.

Dendrobiums can take full sun. Water the plant just after the medium has dried out.

Thanks! By dried out do you mean bone dry, or just dry on top?

Dendrobiums generally like a lot of light if you want to see blooms again. A well lit windowsill is a good place for them since many (but not all) need a temp swing to initiate flowering. Some even need a drier dormancy where they will drop their leaves but I wouldn't think a HD plant would be a deciduous Dendrobium...

Water the plant and feel how heavy it is when wet and then water when the pot is light again. Depending upon your temps/humidity this might be tomorrow or next week. Many Dendrobiums have those cane-like pseudobulbs which you can watch for signs of water stress. They will be flattened, wrinkled or even ribbed if they're really thirsty (they are often dying of thirst at stores), just strive to keep them fat and rounded and you should be good.

Did you repot it yet? If not yet, when you do so place it in the new pot with the oldest growths against the outside rim and aim the newest growth towards the center of the pot, this will give you the most amount of time in the new pot compared to plopping it dead center. Use a mix of 50/50 LFS and Bark/mulch you can use more bark or all bark if you want, more bark just necessitates watering more often but you definitely want the soil open and "airy".

Thanks Swords that's really helpful! I haven't repotted it yet, I just drilled holes in it's current pot (lowe's had it undrained!). I think I'll repot it in an orchid basket, as I have 5 or so of those at home (probably get my mom to send one up, or I'll pick it up spring break)

Back