What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paphiopedlium Lowii pic.heavy

uphwiz

jimmy
here are a few pics i took as Paph.Lowii openeing. If you click on the photo you can see a larger version , if you like, and still larger if you click again. hope you enjoy the photos.
This is one of my favorite paphs. I have 7 of them, they don't bloom every year, but it is a treat when they do.

Last edited:
That is so cool looking! Man, I really don't want to get an orchid itch.

Great progress shots Jimmy! Slippers are always worth the wait!

Those are beautiful!I love slipper orchids :)

That is simply just an amazing Orchid there. Very well grown

That is simply just an amazing Orchid there. Very well grown
Agreed!! Amazingly beautiful flower Jimmy. What conditions do they need (temps, light, media...)?

thanks Everyone

What conditions do they need (temps, light, media...)?
that is a little difficult , the few i have like similar conditions , i have mine in a north window shelf,
not much sun this time of year, and i do have a flor. fixture two 24" grow lux bulbs just t-12's 10 hours a day , never direct sun on these, they could take a little morning sun but you would need to acclimate them to it.
medium humidity 35 55 % , any good orchid mix will do should have a little charcoal and perlite in the mix. water once weekly and 1/4 strength orchid bloom booster plant fertilizer. make sur to use something formulated for orchids/no urea .
if you feed all the time its just easier to keep up with the schedule.
i keep a fan near the shelf and mist a few nights a week slightly wetting the top of the mix and the leaves of the orchid , and run the fan at a pretty good force as to dry them out,its ok to leave the fan running all night of you want I don't leave them wet.
they like a cool down at night to help start the bloom cycle flower, the spraying and fan help with this.
also the ones i have like most house hold conditions , if you can take it they can.
and they like a little rest from say dec to feb or so to start the bloom cycle ( little drier , little less light, and little less fertilizer).
Lowii is blooming a little early this year, and i hope it keeps up this cycle, as the others havent even set buds yet. i'll try s and do some photos of them as ,and if they bloom this year.
These are my conditions , Im sure there are other ways:blush:but this seems to work for my group
I have a great pic of my spicerainum enzan fruit blooming last dec if i can find it ill post on this thread, later.
And thanks for the compliments ive just about decided to do cattleyas and paphs. easiest for me, and let the cp madness take me over HA HA!!:-O they seem more rewarding without all the waiting for a bloom , but when a orchid blooms you have to look :-D

---------- Post added at 09:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:08 PM ----------

here is spicerainum x enzan fruit Paphiopedlium,
spicerainum+LOOOKKK.jpg

it probably wont bloom this year but has two very healthy growth points,so hopefully i'll get two blooms next time , it is single flowered meaning one bloom per spike. the lowii is multifloral and can have up to 6 blooms on one spike opened at the same time ,there is another bud there if you look again im sure you'll see it.
this is my old camera so not quite as crisp as the sx 10

Fantastic! How big was the bloom? Looks bigger than the pot! :D

I can't wait to start buying plants like these again!

That is a wonderful spicerainum x enzan fruit Paphiopedlium Orchid. I think I'll have to give orchids a try now. They'll look great mixed with my Nepenthes Veitchii hybrids

Don't succumb to the itch, you'll NEVER recover!

That said, I just got a couple more orchids.

I only got a dozen or so mini species at the orchid show last weekend - not as many as I wanted but you haveta draw the line somewhere! :D

correction on the 24" gro lux bulbs, :blush:
they are 24'ecol lux t-12 plant and aquarium bulbs. you can find these at w/mart, or lowes.
but if you have a window to the ease or south this will probably do, just protect a little from the direct sunlight ,
some wont hurt ,but if you get too much it will burn the leaves.

---------- Post added at 11:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:08 AM ----------

Fantastic! How big was the bloom? Looks bigger than the pot! :D
It does have a fairly large bloom but the pic is deceptive , the pot is only 3.5" x3.5" x4", as paphs go it is a large bloom,
the lowii is a bit smaller in comparrison , but if you can get multiple blooms makes a nicer display.
I dont care as much for the species spicerainum
but this a nice hybrid.

the final bloom look like it's taking off...very nice colour.

update photos

Here's an up date on lowii's brother.

Last edited:
Truly incredible flowers! However, if I look at them for too long, they become almost alien-esque ... :0o:

Mine is in spike right now! I've had my lowii for 9 years! I bought it as a seedling 9 years ago and it has finally spiked! :0o: Can't wait! It has to be one of my most favorite paphs too!

What's the purpose of the slipper? Does it hold nectar? Mother nature doesnt make things for no reason!

Back