What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stupid Question

I know nothing about orchids. Can they be propogated from cuttings? More specifically a flower cutting?

If you get a keiki -which is a growth off the flower stalk-, you can probably cut if of with a part of the flower stalk (this usually involves you cutting of the flowers, sadly.) and use rooting hormone, then plant it in the appropriate media.
Sorry if this is incorrect, got this from memory.

It depends on the orchid. But if it's just a flower, no. Sorry. ;)

Dendrobiums are also very good at making keikis.

I didn't think so but thought I would ask. Thanks.

No, most of them you cannot take cuttings with the exception of vanilla. There are probably a few others, but I can't remember what they are off the top of my head. Some with grow keikis (baby plants) and you can pluck those off once they have 3 inches worth of roots ( either three 1 inch roots or one 3 inch root) and pot them up, but nothing like you can do with CP's.

Reed stem Epidendrum are capable to propagate with cuttings.

Some people have had success propogating from flower stalks with TC type conditions.

Back