User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: swan diving into miniature orchids...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    funny---i was planning on dropping a c-note earlier today. :P
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you make an order?

I got two new Pleuros from Evilbay

Dracula vespertilio

The blooms cooked in shipping since it's been 90*F+ every day but I've been soaking it daily and keeping it on the cool shelves and there is a new spike poking out of the substrate just a week after arrival so hopefully I can see a bloom before unpotting it and mounting on a branch which will likely set it back a good long time as it establishes but will look awesome in the long run with the blooms dangling in the breeze.

Here's a little clump of Masdevallia nidifica, again most of the blooms withered in the heat

I have a feeling I am currently subjecting them to too much light so I've put a sheet of black mosquito screen over their holding tank cutting the light about 30%. I am going to erect a twin vertical tank stand for growing these "shade loving" Pleuros, initially there won't be any direct light above either of the tanks but plenty of light bleed from top and sides from the terrarium shelves and window on either side of the stand. If they appear to suffer/not bloom from too little light I will be able to fit a CFL or two over each but my past experince with them is less light is more with these guys, My best growers & bloomers in my old plant collection were kept on the lowest shelves farthest from the light, hence my experiment. If they start to yellow on you they either have too much light or too much heat or both - which go hand in hand.

And yes Jon, most I've ever owned/bought were grown in either pure LFS (the two above came potted just as you see them) or mounted like Butch showed but Orchids Ltd grows most of their Draculas and Masdevallias in fine orchid bark. I think it's easier to keep them wet enough in LFS or a 50/50 blend. Water often just like a Nep, keep very moist and in very high humidity. The orchids with pseudobulbs (like Bulbophyllums) like to be moist but can dry out a long time before they really suffer, these little guys with no peudobulbs suffer very fast in warm weather or even slight droughts.
    Last edited by swords; 08-11-2010 at 11:27 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    :P you are evil swords. hahahaa.
    your plants are looking awesome as well. i'll take pics of the whole chebang when they come in. i love mounting the suckers.

yes i did. got a Lepanthes caprimulgus and Dendrobium cuthbertsonii red.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the Qbert Dendro is it a deciduous type?

That Lepanthes has a really sweet bloom! Haven't seen that before but there's only thousands of pleuros so perhaps I could be forgiven!

We'll have to do some trades if we get our mini collections going good I've got some really neat things picked out, and a few more arriving in a few days. I just have to take the buying slow incase I'm the next contestant on "you're laid off" at my job. They laid off six before I went on vacation (including head of the 2nd shift printing dept) so now that I'm outta vac they could toss me to the curb with minimal backpay on Monday.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a dangerous topic :O
    I wasnt planning on getting new orchids anytime soon, but after seeing these i get really tempted :P
    my growlist: http://terraforums.com/forums/showth...306#post976306
    My pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/taliesin-ds/

<Exo> @Talie......You are the lord of all things blah....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @talie: yeah---it all started when my friends decided to take me with them to see a couple of orchid nurseries along with Peter's nursery. because they were going to Pete's as one of their stops, i decided to go. i liked orchids but most orchids i've seen were large plants--and then i stumbled on the minis. sufficed to say, it's all downhill now.

@swords: for sure! the dendro is not deciduous but it requires drier conditions during November to February.
    +growlist
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They're hard to resist so many look like weird insects with long trailing antennae.

I got 3 new ones in the mail today:

Dryadella simula
    Porroglossum muscosum
    Masdevallia "Pat Akehurst"

None are in bloom at the moment so I didn't bother to photo they are all various sized paddle shaped leaves from 2" to 4" and came potted in pure LFS.

@ Amp, Yeah, those are the kind of Dendros I'm talking about, those who need a change in care/dormancy/deciduous are all doomed with me! I always forget and keep them way too wet or in the case of D. unicum I did my best not to water then I forgot to water it at all and by the time i started watering it again it was way too late. Like VFT & Sarrs, basically I just stay away! LOL Things that like a daily watering/consistent care are best for me cos I spray down the plant tanks every day at noon when I get up and then usually at least once later in the evening if I'm not at work.
    Last edited by swords; 08-12-2010 at 09:41 AM.

An orchid fancier with a CP problem chibae's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by amphirion View Post
    :P you are evil swords. hahahaa.
    your plants are looking awesome as well. i'll take pics of the whole chebang when they come in. i love mounting the suckers.

yes i did. got a Lepanthes caprimulgus and Dendrobium cuthbertsonii red.
    That dend cuth has been on my must have list for over year, but when I have the money it's not aorund and vis versa
    It's a tough life being a Sarracenia farmer
    My Grow List http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=123776

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast