What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

swan diving into miniature orchids...

This is a dangerous topic :O
I wasnt planning on getting new orchids anytime soon, but after seeing these i get really tempted :p

@talie: yeah---it all started when my friends decided to take me with them to see a couple of orchid nurseries along with Peter's nursery. because they were going to Pete's as one of their stops, i decided to go. i liked orchids but most orchids i've seen were large plants--and then i stumbled on the minis. sufficed to say, it's all downhill now.

@swords: for sure! the dendro is not deciduous but it requires drier conditions during November to February.

They're hard to resist so many look like weird insects with long trailing antennae.

I got 3 new ones in the mail today:

Dryadella simula
Porroglossum muscosum
Masdevallia "Pat Akehurst"

None are in bloom at the moment so I didn't bother to photo they are all various sized paddle shaped leaves from 2" to 4" and came potted in pure LFS.

@ Amp, Yeah, those are the kind of Dendros I'm talking about, those who need a change in care/dormancy/deciduous are all doomed with me! I always forget and keep them way too wet or in the case of D. unicum I did my best not to water then I forgot to water it at all and by the time i started watering it again it was way too late. Like VFT & Sarrs, basically I just stay away! LOL Things that like a daily watering/consistent care are best for me cos I spray down the plant tanks every day at noon when I get up and then usually at least once later in the evening if I'm not at work.

Last edited:
:p you are evil swords. hahahaa.
your plants are looking awesome as well. i'll take pics of the whole chebang when they come in. i love mounting the suckers.

yes i did. got a Lepanthes caprimulgus and Dendrobium cuthbertsonii red.

That dend cuth has been on my must have list for over year, but when I have the money it's not aorund and vis versa

@swords: you really ARE into minis! how big do your plants get. in reality, if the plant grows taller than 3 inches, i probably wont be able to keep it... :(
i really want to take pics of mine now.

:lol: you're all catching the orchid bug now too XD. They take over your grow racks real quick :0o:

no thez, they're taking over the sides of my terra. i have them hanging of suction cup disks. which i have to buy more of now. lol.

:lol: you're all catching the orchid bug now too XD. They take over your grow racks real quick :0o:

I had the orchid bug looong before the cp virus hit me :D

I had the orchid bug looong before the cp virus hit me :D

Same here, the neps started taking over the orchid window sills :-))

:boogie: phal phan :boogie:

here's what i've got so far:
Bulbophyllum frostii
DSCN3483.jpg

Cirrhopetalum tingabarinum
DSCN3479.jpg

Masdevallia nidifica
DSCN3484.jpg

Trisetella gemmata
DSCN3486.jpg

this one's for Thez: "pond scum" ;)
DSCN3487.jpg

Cool, what kinda pond scum? Is that your quelchii?

it's a different kind of utric. im experimenting stuff out. if it grows, great, but if not, eh...

Nice! Didn't see this til today..that's how I've got some pond scum settling in too..you guys and rubbing your poor plant habits on me getting in the way of my Helis and Neps :lol:

to add more insult to injury these are coming in:

Lepanthes calodictyon
Schoenorchis fragrans
Restrepia iris
Maxillaria schunkeana

wont be getting my hands on them till mid september though....cant wait! >.<

That Lepanthes is a real must-have!

@swords: agreed! im getting them mostly for the leaves! the flowers are just the icing on the cake.

That Lepanthes reminds me of Begonia rajah.

had to look that up. they do look similar indeed. although Begonia probably is twice to 4x the size of lepanthes. hahaha.

Yes Begonia's are generally pretty big although I picked up a very small Begonia called "Little Darling" today with similar (but darker) leaves that only get to 1" - 1 1/2" in diameter. We'll see if I melt it. I can keep some Begonias in vivariums and others I magically turn into piles of slime. LOL

Although it's by no means complete I just started an orchid wish list, on my grow list..at the moment all are minis

Back