User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: swan diving into miniature orchids...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

swan diving into miniature orchids...

i have a rough idea of how to take care of these puppies. going to be grown epiphytically on cork bark, with sphag. intermediate conditions...

if you have the following species please let me know how you are raising them:
    Bulbophyllum frostii
    Cirrhopetalum tingabarnium
    Masdevallia nidifica
    Trisetella gemmata.

i guess the most pertinent:
    which ones are deciduous?
    fertilization frequency?
    watering differences in comparison from winter to summer?

thanks!
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not/have not grown those exact species though I have owned/do own various Masdevallias, Bulbophyllums and Cirrhopetallum (formerly lumped in with Bulbophyllum). Generally the Bulbophyllums prefer warm Lowland temps and humidity. Masdevallias and Cirrhos prefer cooler conditions. I have not owned any Tristella, I think it's one of the Tristella species's blooms that look like impressionist painting of seagulls but I don't recall which species it was, I'd have to find the pics again.

Anyway, I do not believe any of these families have any deciduous species, mostly it's the miniature Dendrobiums who suddenly go dead and then can't be watered much beyond a spritz and look horrible until they decide to come back. Like any other plant that goes dormant, I kill those Dendrobiums and Dockrillia so I stay away from them.

If you want to grow them mounted (which is the awesome way to grow them!) buy a pump up garden sprayer and soak them well with it at least once everyday, more often in hot weather. If your terrariums are generally the same temp year round just make sure the moss at the roots stays moist. High humidity helps.

You can fertilize them weekly, daily or not at all. water them with plain water first, then a few minutes later spray them down with a low dose of fertilizer. I used Grow More's urea free fertilizer. Now I don't fertilize my orchids at all because they are in with animals but I have been considering watering with waste water from the crab pools.

An orchid fancier with a CP problem chibae's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    don't know the others but the masdie likes light shading and intermeadiate to cool temps with a pronounced drop of ten to fiftenn dgrees (no lower than mid 50's), good air and humidity.
    Any other minis you like? Steven frownie has written a good book on miniature orchids. Some of the smallwer sophronitis and maxillaria would work in masdie constitions as well
    It's a tough life being a Sarracenia farmer
    My Grow List http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=123776

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where are you in the SF Bay area? Depending on how broadly one uses the term, it could mean anything from coastal fog belt to hot desert conditions. Growing orchids in the first might be easier than growing dandelions, while growing them in the second will take some effort to create reasonable conditions.

Don't fertilize them at all. Newly mounted or newly potted orchids can only be harmed by it. If you're new to orchids, I recommend you don't fertilize them at all for quite a while. They'll grow faster with the right amount of nutrients, which is darned little, but it's too easy to hurt them with too much.

Once I figured out what I was doing, I never fertilized a newly mounted or potted epiphytic orchid until I saw that new roots were growing. Eventually, I quit fertilizing them other than for maybe once or twice per year. However, my orchids spent much of their growing season outside, hanging in trees, so they were getting extra nutrients as rain dripped off leaves and branches. If not for that, I probably would have had to fertilize them a little more often.

I don't grow orchids anymore, other than for hardy terrestrials, because I got tired of taking care of them during the cold months when the air is so dry indoors. But I had 100+ orchids at one point and, if I lived somewhere with a maritime climate, I'd have so many Masdies, etc. that it would make someone's head spin.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now that I have suceeded with masdies I want to move on to dracs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope you're more successful than I was. I could have been a horror film hero because I'm great at killing Draculas. But I only had marginal success at best with Masdies, Pleuros, etc., so shouldn't have expected anything better than that. Dry indoor air during winter seemed to be their biggest hardship - I never made a proper growing environment for them during their months indoors. I only remember losing a couple plants because of heat and even those weren't so much because of how hot it got during the day; they went into a rapid decline after a few unusually warm and muggy nights in a row.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dang i havent checked this thread in a while.
    so....currently,

bulbophyllum and Cirrhopetalum are hanging out in the LL tank while the other two are hanging out on the side of my HL tank, right above the ultrasonic humidifier. thanks everyone for their input. i appreciate it a lot.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've started on my mini-orchid wish list, once I've posted it I'll let you know. Might give you some more ideas.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast