What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need orchid basics.

Chomp

Oops
Hi, I have recently been very interested in keeping an/some orchid/s. Specifically the kind of orchids that have small pitchers on their flowers; however, at the moment I just need orchid basics, until I can find what species my nursery has. (Or nearest botanical garden)
Thanks!
Chomp

Hi Chomp, welcome to the addicting world of orchids. I would suggest folllowing this link for a start on basic information.

It is better to learn what type of orchids can thrive in the growing conditions you have than try and grow an orchid that will not just because you can get it locally. You can always get orchids on line and in trade as well.

Good luck and welcome to the club. The orchids that have pitchers are called slipper orchids. the pitcher part is actually the flower so it will not be there year round. The most common types seen are the phragmipedium (phrags) which are South American slippers and the paphiopedilum (paphs) which are the Asian slippers.

Another good resource on the slippers is Woodstream Orchids

Have fun

Thanks!
Do you know any slipper orchids that can do well at room conditions? Or is that yet another fantasy by growers?...

All of them... depending on your conditions...

Basically we just need to know your conditions (Day & Night temps, humidity & light exposure) before we can suggest plants.

The most commonly grown slipper orchids are the Paphiopedilums (Paphs) and they can be roughly divided into two categories on the basis of their leaf coloring and patterning. Many have mottled or otherwise patterned leaves of purple and green. In general, they will tend to prefer warm temperatures and low light levels. Other Paphs have light (apple) green leaves, without mottling, and they tend to prefer cooler temperatures and higher light levels. You might think of the difference as being like the difference between lowland and highland Neps, but the difference between Paphs is much more subtle. Rattler and some others do real well with Paphs and an archive search should turn up some helpful info they've posted in the past.

and I on ther other hand do much better with phrags than paphs, again research is your friend and we need to know the light, temp and humidity levels of where you want to grow the plant

im prolly not a good one to ask for tips.....paphs are one of those plants that like my basement and thrive on my neglect......ive got both types growing happily side by side ......also figure my experiance is based on a small statistical sample of bout 5 plants of which only 2 have bloomed thought the older of the two blooms on a pretty set schedule of every 8 months.......the other three are a lil on the small side to bloom yet.....

It's been a while since I actually measured my room conditions; but other people near my room have kept more common orchids in a west window. I'll measure my room cons again.

Back