What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Terra orchid?

Chomp

Oops
Hi, I know there are many orchids that can be grown in terras, including jewel orchids. But can any orchid be grown in a terra? (especially sliper orchids, I hope)

depends on climate within the terra, espically airflow and temps, plus most slipper orchids are very tall when they spike, as are some of the jewels

yes any orchid can be grown in a terra.....but that does not mean any orchid will work in any terra.....still have to match conditions to what the orchid likes and quite a few orchids need good air circulation.....just cause an orchid comes from a rain forest does not mean its going to do well in an enclosed terra cause a vital key you could be missing is air circulation....alot of orchids grow in tree tops and though the humidity is near 100% air is moving around the orchid.....in a small terra 100% humidity plus no circulation often leads to rot....

a slipper orchid, provided your talking Paphs and Phrags will do well in a terra big enough for them provided the terra matches up with their needs.....however most paphs and phrags do well outside one aswell s few use them due to the size of the orchids and the fact there isnt a need most of the time....

I guess that any plant can be grown in a terrarium, provided its reqirements are met. Afterall, the purpose of a terrarium is to recreate, to the best of ones ability, the conditions that a particular plant species receives in its natural habitat.

well the back part of the lid is open. I'll have to run tests to see if the air circulation is good.
Thanks for the help guys!
Chomp

like we said in your last thread..let us know size of the tank, air circ conditions, temps and humidity..then we can help get you started on your orchid addiction

hmm... There's this one part of that that seems to be holding me back... hmmmm... what could it be?... Something in the second line... what could it be... Oh well, I'll remember some time...

Here is some useful info if you don't have enough yet.

This one is 14 pages long, but if you spot check you can find the "lists" quick enough. Just keep in mind what I can grow like a weed you may kill and vice versa. Terrariums have tons of microclimates and orchids are less forgiving than most CPs. Not to mention the watering, some require very specific amounts of water, if the medium is too wet or too dry it may die or just not grow well. If you have never tried to grow orchids get some of the easy ones and move into the harder ones. Bulbophyllum pardalotum come to mind.

http://www.orchidboard.com/community/terrarium-gardening/98-orchids-do-well-terrariums.html

This one is more geared toward general plants, but has some orchids.

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/plants/35324-guide-popular-terrarium-plants.html

Back