What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If I can't have an Orchidioides Utric...

...how about a Utricularioides Orchid! LOL

sold as Ionopsis utricularioides (pink flowered species)but appears more likely Ionopsis paniculata (white flowered species)

The flower formed upside down should be pointing the other way so I flipped it the right direction in photoshop

ionopsisutricularioides1.jpg

The blooms should be easier to photo once it's in a terrarium and against a green background.

ionopsisutricularioides2.jpg

The roots have a definite Utricularia root shape to them, just no traps. The plant came potted in Hydroton clay balls and large bark ontop so apparently it likes being well drained.

ionopsisutricularioides3.jpg

Here's the whole plant, about 4-5" across there is a new growth starting on the backside. Looks like the flower stalks were each of different sizes... ???

ionopsisutricularioides4.jpg

Last edited:
That's a beautiful flower :D Funny name too. xD

That one needs a nice branch :)

And why can't you have an Orchidioides?

@rss: have you noticed the recent threads? his unidentified long leafed orchidioides and his/my quelchii are under question.

I see...The U. quelchii problem will likely take a few years to sort out.

If you don't have any luck and really want an Orchidioides check with me late this fall, I'll see what I have.

If you don't have any luck and really want an Orchidioides check with me late this fall, I'll see what I have.
Depending on what you call Orchidioides (since the clumping w/ Iperua), I'll likely be listing some spares in the coming weeks.

Whenever possible, upon receiving new plants - especially plants in families I've never messed with, I like to divide into different pots when possible or propagate when they're large enough.
- place each into different media or moisture levels or temperatures or.... to see how to optimize growth
- also to have backups if one crashes

Since I've now gotten a small comfort level with growing some of the Iperua group (not Orchidioides), I probably don't need 3-5 backups of each. :-O I'm also looking to reclaim some space for some possible new additions ... :boogie:

So .... watch the trading forum ... :beer: :angel:

That's cool but I don't have anything that anybody would want in trade and we aren't allowed to offer laundry baskets full of cash... :(

I've been going back and forth with the seller on this one today, she says it's I. utricularioides I say it looks like I. paniculata going by the pics I've seen online. True I. utricularioides should have pink blooms and darker pink/purple striping (like in the pic of the plant I was supposedly getting) unless this is perhaps an alba form because the roots do look right for this species. This bloom's base color is as white as any white thing I've ever seen but if a flower opens in a box will it not be as colorful? perhaps the next blooms to open will be pink... I want pink! LOL

Seller says the bloom color changes with temp, cooler temps = pink. We shall certainly see about that! LOL

Back