What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Vanda orchid

Hey guys...I heard vandas are the more high temp tolerant orchid soo i decided to go to the nursery and get one.....I have almost 0% experience with orchids so im kinda nervous..Don't wanna it to die..Is it a vanda BTW? Anyway i read somewhere that you give them lots of water but they have to dry out fast.. Is that right? Anyway would misting them at night be appreciated by them or will it cause it to rot cause the water doesn't dry up as fast? Heres a picture
DSC08187.jpg

Here are the roots....Hope they're fine..the roots are greenish though...
DSC08188.jpg

It looks to be a Vanda or at least what would be considered the Vanda alliance (having at least one Vanda as a parent, or of several other genera with Vanda-like characteristics). Let us know if you find out, for sure. Such as Ascocentrum, Ascocenda, Vandopsis, Rhyncostylis, Dimorphorchis, Renantanda, etc. Some are Vanda-like genera, others are man-made intergeneric hybrids.

We don't know where you are (you didn't include your location in your profile). So it is difficult to give good advice on culture. Though generally Vandaceous orchids like strong light, high humidity, good air movement, and warm temperatures. They like frequent moisture, but like to be dry before the temperatures drop after sunset. When conditions are good they should be fertilized regularly to promote strong growth and healthy flowering.

Hey joseph....Well i stay in Malaysia and i read that the Ascocentrum comes from places around my country so it should be fine....A guy from another forum said it is "Arachnis x Vanda x Ascocentrum) Chark Kuan 'orange' or similar." Anyway i have strong light here year round and considerably high humidity...I guesss i should be fine?

You certainly have a natural advantage in growing these kinds of plants.

Back